Cats Bats Are Silent in 2-0 Shut out Loss at Kansas City
Kansas City, KA - The Gary South Shore RailCats struggles at the plate continued Friday night as the Kansas City T-Bones got just enough offense and a solid team pitching effort to shut out the RailCats 2-0.
For the third straight night the RailCats were held hitless through the first five innings and the teams recent trend of allowing a first inning run returned after one night off. The T-Bones got the only run they needed in the first with a leadoff double from the bat of Ryan Cavan off of RailCats hard luck starter Charle Rosario. After Rosario got the first out he gave up an RBI single to Jake Blackwood to make it 1-0 Kansas City.
The Bones would pick up an unearned run in the fifth after RailCats catcher Jaime Del Valle committed a throwing error at first on a bunt attempt by Jacob Hayes. The next batter Ryan Cavan the drove in the insurance run off of Rosario with a double.
The highlights for the RailCats all came on defense. Ryan Brockett made a highlight worthy play at short on a dive in the first. Adam Taylor made two outstretched diving catches in the game in left field. And JD Pulfer fell into the stands on a foul ball catch but that was about all the good news for the South Shore.
The T-Bones behind starter Mike Nannini and three other relievers shut down the RailCats offense on the way to the shut out. Nannini left the game after 4.1 after being hit on the arm by a line drive in the third off of Gary first baseman Roger Bernal. Derek Loera (2-0) was the winner in relief going 2.1 IP scoreless. He was followed by Aaron Baker, who worked 1.1 IP and Fernando Hernandez, who tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his fourth save.
The two teams will play game two of the weekend series Saturday night at CommunityAmerica Ball Park with the first pitch scheduled for7:05pm. The game will be broadcast online only on RailCats baseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 4, 2015
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Light up RailCats - Kansas City T-Bones
- Sioux Falls' Bats Are Silenced - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Straka Gets 11 Ks On Independence Day - Sioux City Explorers
- Red, White, and Blues: Gartrell Home Run Lifts Amarillo to 5-4 Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Goldeyes and Champions Washed Away - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Trade for Watts, Hope He Can be Lights Out - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Proceeds from July 4 Jersey Auction Will Raise Money for Charleston Community - St. Paul Saints
- Cats Bats Are Silent in 2-0 Shut out Loss at Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Blown Chances, Bullpen Cost 'Dogs in Come-From-Ahead Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Staff Additions and Promotions for 2020
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0