Hogs Remain Hot at Home
Rockford, Ill. - Despite seeing their 11-game point streak come to an end last weekend, the Rockford IceHogs continued their hot stretch on home ice increasing their point streak at the BMO to eight games (7-0-0-1) after knocking off the Rochester Americans 4-2.
With the win, Rockford increased their point lead on the Amerks to four in the Western Conference standings, but Rochester has four-games in hand on the IceHogs.
The Hogs offense has been sparked by a red-hot Jeremy Morin, who captured the American Hockey League's player of the month award in February, and the winger continued his torrid pace. Pierre-Marc Bouchard setup Morin for his team-best 22nd goal of the season 6:23 into the first period to give the IceHogs an early 1-0 advantage. The goal moved his point streak to 13-games, tying an AHL season-long mark.
Just :52 later Pat Mullane extended the IceHogs lead to 2-0 with his fifth tally of the season off a feed from Brad Mills and Phillip Danault.
In the second period, the IceHogs capitalized off an Americans turnover to push the lead to three. Goaltender Nathan Lieuwen came out of his net and misplayed a loose puck and Terry Broadhurst was right there to toss it in the net for his 14th goal of the season.
Rochester was finally able to crack Jason LaBarbera to get on the board with a power play marker 5:27 into the third period. Brayden McNabb sent Kevin Porter racing into the Hogs' zone and the center ripped a shot that found the back of the net to make it a 3-1 game.
The Americans used another power play to climb right back into the game with 8:02 remaining in the third. For the second time of the period and game, Porter snapped a shot past LaBarbera to bring the score to 3-2.
Rockford had two chances to extend their lead to a pair with 5-on-3 power plays late in the third period, but Rochester snuffed them out, holding the IceHogs to 0-9 on the power play overall.
Brandon Mashinter, however, dumped his tenth goal of the season into an empty Amerks net at 19:49 to ice the game.
Next Home Game: Saturday, Mar. 8 vs. Milwaukee Admirals: Game time is at 7 p.m. This will be the second of a home-and-home set for these two rivals. The game is Autism Awareness Night at the BMO and Autism Awareness Ribbon Magnets will be handed out. Local singer/songwriter Anthony Billups will be performing live pre-game and during intermissions. Billups is from Rockton, Ill. and is featured on A&E's new reality tv series, Crazy Hearts: Nashville.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 5, 2014
- Griffins Win Sixth Straight, 4-2 over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Panthers Recall Trocheck; Reassign Shore, Clemmensen to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Can't Grab Midwest Division Lead in Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Iowa Releases Toivonen, Re-Signs McKenzie - Iowa Wild
- Detroit Trades Jarnkrok, Assigns Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Sign Bogdanovich - Abbotsford Heat
- Autism Awareness Night Saturday at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Lightning Acquire Audy-Marchessault, Smith from Columbus - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Recall Forward Johnny McGuire from Idaho - Rochester Americans
- Ottawa Sends Petersson to Anaheim, Receives Defenseman Grant - Binghamton Senators
- James Livingston Traded to LA Kings - Worcester Sharks
- Columbus Acquires Taormina, Tyrell in Exchange for Marchessault, Smith - Springfield Falcons
- Vey Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Mike Halmo, Matt Donovan Recalled by Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Appearance by Scott Nichol on Friday and "Pucks & Paws" Night Sunday Highlight Amerks Weekend Games - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Flames Recall Ben Hanowski from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Florida Panthers Acquire G Dan Ellis from Dallas - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Acquire Gaborik from Blue Jackets - Manchester Monarchs
- Portland Pirates 2013-14 Team Awards Presented by Creative Awards Voting Underway - Portland Pirates
- Flames Recall Goaltender Joey MacDonald from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Capitals Recall Philipp Grubauer from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Acquire Jaroslav Halak and Third-Round Draft Pick in the 2015 NHL NHL Draft - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Ryan Stoa from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Veteran NHL Defenseman Joe Corvo Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Sign Bartosak to Three-Year Entry Level Contract - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage to Hold Seventh Annual Pucks & Paws Game on Sunday - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Acquire McNabb, Two Second Round Draft Selections From Buffalo - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sabres Acquire Deslauriers, Fasching in Trade with Kings - Rochester Americans
- Canadiens Acquire Dubnyk, Assign him to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rattie and Fairchild Visit Local Libraries on March 12 - Chicago Wolves
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Emmerton Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Corban Knight and Max Reinhart from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Dallas Stars Return Chris Mueller to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Texas Stars Return Taylor Vause to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Lightning Recall Richard Panik; Reassign Namestnikov to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Remain Hot at Home - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign Hobey Baker Finalist and Two-Time Big-10 Champion Cale Morris for 2020-21 Season
- IceHogs Defenseman of the Year Cody Franson Returns to Club for Upcoming Season
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E