Havoc Drop First Game of Challenge Round to Mississippi 4-1
SOUTHAVEN, MISSISSIPPI - After a 24-hour delay due to bad ice conditions at the home of the Mississippi RiverKings, the Havoc started game one of the SPHL Challenge Round with high hopes.
Instead, they became the third higher-seeded team in these playoffs to drop their first game as the Havoc could only muster a single goal and lost on the road 4-1.
"Simply put, we just did not play well enough to win tonight," said Havoc Head Coach Glenn Detulleo. "Our season is on the line now and I expect to see our best effort of the year tomorrow to extend our season in front of the home crowd."
The series moves back to Huntsville for game two Saturday night and, if necessary, a game three on Sunday.
After a quiet first period, Mississippi scored a pair in the second and third frames to take a 4-0 lead before the Havoc finally answered.
Huntsville's leading goal-scorer of the regular season, Christian Powers, finally got one past RiverKings keeper Tyler Green during a powerplay with seven minutes left in regulation. It was too little, too late, as the Havoc dropped the first game in the best-of-three series and now find themselves with their collective backs against the wall.
Mississippi outshot Huntsville 41 to 36 and have won the last three head-to-head contests between the teams.
The Havoc had eight chances to score on a powerplay but could only capitalize on Powers' score. Mississippi was one for seven on the their powerplay chances.
Huntsville needs to win back-to-back games at home to move on to the semifinal round of the SPHL playoffs. Game two is Saturday, April 14, at 7 p.m. on Pharmacy First Ice at the VBC. Tickets are available at tickemaster.com, the VBC box office or the Havoc front office. If there is a game three, it will be Sunday, April 15, at 5 p.m. back in the friendly confines of the VBC arena.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2018
- RiverKings Take Game One vs. Huntsville, 4-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rivermen Drop Dawgs, Cruise to Semi Finals Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- Dawgs Fall to Rivermen, 4-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Havoc Drop First Game of Challenge Round to Mississippi 4-1 - Huntsville Havoc
- Jerseys for Humboldt - Birmingham Bulls
- Rivermen Game Notes: SPHL Challenge Round Game 2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Stefan Named to All-SPHL Team - Huntsville Havoc
- Jake Trask and Daniel Gentzler Named to All-SPHL Teams - Macon Mayhem
- Brad Barone Named to All-SPHL First Team - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- SPHL Announces All-League First Team - SPHL
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: #8 Rail Yard Dawgs at #1 Rivermen - Challenge Round Game Two - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Postponed Game One to be Played Tonight in Mississippi - Huntsville Havoc
- Hauswirth Earns League Honors - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Steve Mele Named to All-SPHL Second Team - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Challenge Round to Begin Friday at 7 PM - Mississippi RiverKings
- SPHL Announces 2017-2018 All-League Second Team - SPHL
- Challenge Round Postponed, to be Played Friday - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunderbolts Shoot Down Mayhem, 2-1 - Evansville Thunderbolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.