Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa
In what turned out to be the final game of the 2019 season, the Jupiter Hammerheads took a tough 7-1 loss to the Tampa Tarpons.
Dustin Beggs struggled on the mound, giving up seven runs to Tampa, six of which were earned, in his 5.1 inning start. The Tarpons recorded eleven of their thirteen hits off Beggs.
Offensively the Hammerheads only put one run up on the board when Demetrius Sims crossed home plate in the bottom of the fifth. After reaching on a close double and advancing to third on a wild pitch, James Nelson hit a line drive down right field to score him.
The 4-1 game was within reach, until the Tarpons' three-run sixth inning to make it 7-1.
Sims had the best line of the night, going 1-2 with a double, walk and run. Nick Fortes went 2-4, and James Nelson, JJ Bleday and Jose Devers all hit singles to round out the hit column for Jupiter.
After a lengthy IL-stent, Florida State League All-Star Devers returned to the roster for the final game of this year. The Marlins #11 prospect recorded his single in his first at bat back with Jupiter.
After Beggs left the mound, the Jupiter bullpen held off Tampa for the remaining 3.2 innings with scoreless, one-hit appearances from Jeff Lindgren, Brian McKenna and Casen Sherrod. Still, the Tarpons 7-1 lead was too much to overcome and the Hammerheads capped off the season with a loss.
Due to Hurricane Dorian, the Florida State League has cancelled all remaining games for the 2019 season and playoffs.The Hammerheads will not be playing the final scheduled series in Daytona this weekend.
The Jupiter Hammerheads would like to thank all the fans for a great 2019 season. We'll see you back at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 29, 2019
- 'Tugas Set Single-Season Attendance Record in Abrupt Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Late Offensive Rally Pushes Threshers Past Flying Tigers in Season Finale - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Mets Snap Losing Skid, Win Season Finale 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Drop 2019 Season Finale, 3-0 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- FSL Cancels Weekend Series, 2019 Playoffs - Clearwater Threshers
- Florida State League Season Finale Series, Playoffs Cancelled Due to Impending Weather - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Cortes Named FSL All Star - St. Lucie Mets
- Remainder of Flying Tigers Home Schedule, Florida State League Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Two Threshers Named to FSL End-Of-Season All Star Team - Clearwater Threshers
- Tonight's Game to be Season Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Remainder of Tortugas, FSL Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin Blue Jays End of Season All Stars - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Dermis Garcia, Miguel Yajure Named FSL Post-Season All-Stars - Tampa Tarpons
- Final Three Games Cancelled Due to Hurricane - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Sweeps Fort Myers in a Doubleheader - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jupiter Hammerheads Stories
- COVID-19 Official Update from Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium
- Jupiter Hammerheads Announce Mike Jacobs as Manager for 2020 Season
- 11 Hammerheads Alum Receive Invite to Marlins' Spring Training Camp
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game