Mets Snap Losing Skid, Win Season Finale 3-0
DAYTONA, Fla. - The St. Lucie Mets snapped a franchise record 14-game losing streak by winning the season finale 3-0 over the Daytona Tortugas on Thursday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
Thursday was the final game of the 2019 Florida State League season. With the impending landfall of Hurricane Dorian early next week, FSL president Ken Carson announced that the final three regular season games and the entire FSL playoffs will be cancelled.
The Mets finish the year 68-66 overall and 36-32 in the second half. It's the team's first winning season since 2016.
Mets starting pitcher Colin Holderman was impressive in his debut. Called up from Low-A Columbia to make his final start, Holderman blanked the Tortugas over 6.1 innings. He retired the first 12 batters he faced and pitched out of a key bases loaded jam in the fifth inning by getting a fly out to right field.
Darwin Ramos cleaned up the seventh inning, Ezequiel Zabaleta pitched 1.1 scoreless innings and Marcel Renteria got the last out of the ballgame on a fly out to right field.
It was the 12th shutout pitched by St. Lucie this season.
On offense the Mets produced all their runs with two outs. The Mets scored a run in the first inning when Carlos Cortes walked, stole second and came around to score on Wagner Lagrange's bloop single.
Cortes laced a two-out, two-run double with the bases loaded in the fifth inning to open up a 3-0 lead.
Cortes went 1 for 2 with a double, two walks, two RBI and a run in his 127th game. He was named the team's only FSL All Star earlier in the day.
Moreno went 2 for 3 with two singles and run.
Daytona starter Austin Orewiler suffered the loss. He gave up three runs in five innings.
Fans can stay updated on happenings throughout the offseason by visiting www.stluciemets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 29, 2019
- 'Tugas Set Single-Season Attendance Record in Abrupt Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Late Offensive Rally Pushes Threshers Past Flying Tigers in Season Finale - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Mets Snap Losing Skid, Win Season Finale 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Drop 2019 Season Finale, 3-0 - Fort Myers Miracle
- FSL Cancels Weekend Series, 2019 Playoffs - Clearwater Threshers
- Florida State League Season Finale Series, Playoffs Cancelled Due to Impending Weather - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Cortes Named FSL All Star - St. Lucie Mets
- Remainder of Flying Tigers Home Schedule, Florida State League Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Two Threshers Named to FSL End-Of-Season All Star Team - Clearwater Threshers
- Tonight's Game to be Season Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Remainder of Tortugas, FSL Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin Blue Jays End of Season All Stars - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Dermis Garcia, Miguel Yajure Named FSL Post-Season All-Stars - Tampa Tarpons
- Final Three Games Cancelled Due to Hurricane - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Sweeps Fort Myers in a Doubleheader - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.