Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Stone Crabs starting pitcher Tommy Romero has been named the 2019 Florida State League Pitcher of the Year, the league office announced Thursday.
Romero becomes the first pitcher in Charlotte history to earn the honor outright, after Jake Faria shared the award with Daytona's Amir Garrett in 2015.
Catcher Ronaldo Hernandez and shortstop Wander Franco were also named FSL Postseason All-Stars. Manager Jeff Smith was one of three managers honored.
Romero leads the Florida State League in ERA (1.89), WHIP (1.02), wins (12) and opponents' batting average (.205). He places third amongst full season pitchers in Minor League Baseball in run prevention.
The Plantation, Florida native is currently on pace to break the franchise record for ERA (Min. 100 IP) and WHIP, while placing second in opponents' average and tied for third in wins. He also leads the team in innings pitched (119.1) and starts (18).
Hernandez joins Lakeland catcher Brady Policelli as one of two backstops named to the All-Star team. The Colombia native leads the Stone Crabs in hits (103), placing second in RBI (60) and third in doubles (18) and home runs (9). He is batting .264 with 30 extra-base hits in 102 games.
Franco, unanimously considered the top prospect in the sport, made the postseason All-Star team despite playing only 51 games in the league. The Bani, Dominican Republic native hit .330 in those contests, drawing 26 walks while striking out only 15 times (.859 OPS). The only other position player to make the postseason list with under 90 games played was Tampa's Dermis Garcia (75 games).
First-year skipper Jeff Smith was named to the postseason team along with Dunedin's Cesar Martin and Fort Myers' Toby Gardenhire. Smith joined the Rays organization prior the 2019 season after two years on Paul Molitor's Major League staff in Minnesota. In his fifth year as a Florida State League manager, Smith led the Stone Crabs to the best record in the circuit and the best record in franchise history.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 29, 2019
- 'Tugas Set Single-Season Attendance Record in Abrupt Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Late Offensive Rally Pushes Threshers Past Flying Tigers in Season Finale - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Mets Snap Losing Skid, Win Season Finale 3-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Drop 2019 Season Finale, 3-0 - Fort Myers Miracle
- FSL Cancels Weekend Series, 2019 Playoffs - Clearwater Threshers
- Florida State League Season Finale Series, Playoffs Cancelled Due to Impending Weather - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Cortes Named FSL All Star - St. Lucie Mets
- Remainder of Flying Tigers Home Schedule, Florida State League Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Two Threshers Named to FSL End-Of-Season All Star Team - Clearwater Threshers
- Tonight's Game to be Season Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Remainder of Tortugas, FSL Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian - Daytona Tortugas
- Dunedin Blue Jays End of Season All Stars - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Dermis Garcia, Miguel Yajure Named FSL Post-Season All-Stars - Tampa Tarpons
- Final Three Games Cancelled Due to Hurricane - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Sweeps Fort Myers in a Doubleheader - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.