Halverson's Stellar Effort Not Enough as Jacksonville Tops Norfolk
Norfolk, VA - The Norfolk Admirals were coming off thrilling 5-4 victory over the Jacksonville Icemen on Friday Night. Saturday night would be a different story for the Admirals, as John Albert scored two goals for the Icemen and they defeated the Norfolk, 3-0.
The Admirals turned to Brandon Halverson on Saturday night, who was making his first start since November 17 in South Carolina. The Michigan native was called up to Providence (AHL) last week, but was sent back down to Norfolk just a few days later.
It was Jacksonville who opened the scoring with a goal from defenseman, Charles-David Beaudoin. The Icemen were able to keep the puck in the Norfolk end after multiple failed clearing attempts and Everett Clark gained control of the puck at the center point for Jacksonville where he found Beaudoin. He then shot the puck towards the net that trickled past Halverson to give Jacksonville a 1-0 lead.
Jacksonville added another goal in the first period courtesy of John Albert. Albert skated into the Norfolk zone on a two-on-one and fired a shot that went over the glove of Halverson to put the Icemen up by two.
Each team had great chances in the first frame, including the Admirals with an A+ chance right before the buzzer. Roman Ammirato skated in on a breakaway but was turned aside by Jacksonville goaltender, Michael McNiven.
As the third period began, the Admirals continued to pressure McNiven with tons of shots. Many chances came for Norfolk, but they just couldn't solve McNiven on Saturday night. The Admirals would have another quality chance from Charlie O'Connor on the penalty kill. He skated in on a breakaway and went for the shot instead of the deke, but was turned aside by McNiven.
Jacksonville added a late empty net goal by Albert and the Icemen would walk away with a 3-0 win. Halverson would wind up making 32 saves on 34 shots. On the other side, McNiven picked up his first shutout of the season, stopping all 35 Norfolk shots.
The Admirals fall to 6-14-3 on the season and are now tied for fifth place in the South division with Jacksonville at 15 points. They will be back on action at Norfolk Scope next Friday against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. Puck drop is set for 7:30pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 30, 2019
- Vela Nets First Professional Hat Trick as Walleye Topple Royals - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Fall in Overtime in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Tie It Late; Fall in OT to KC - Wichita Thunder
- Halverson's Stellar Effort Not Enough as Jacksonville Tops Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Wings Win Road Trip Finale in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dubeau Blanks Thunder as Beast Win Fifth Straight - Brampton Beast
- Fuel Cruise to 4-2 Victory in Worcester - Indy Fuel
- Thompson's 36 Saves Sink Solar Bears in 2-0 Loss to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Thriller in Wichita, Beat Thunder 4-3 in OT - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Shut Down Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Fall 4-1 to Kalamazoo - Wheeling Nailers
- Reading's Nine-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Toledo, 7-4 - Reading Royals
- Railers Lose 4-2 in First Ever Meeting With Indy Fuel - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Stomped by Brampton for Second Straight Night, 4-0 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Mariners 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Ted Hart Nets First Home Goal in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Komets Acquire Doherty from Orlando - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: November 30th Florida at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Trade Taylor Doherty to Komets - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 30 - ECHL
- PA Native Stork Claimed off Waivers, Expected to Debut Saturday - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Seek Points in 10 Straight, Complete Homestand - Reading Royals
- Fiore's Buzzer Beater Pushes Rush Back into First Place - Rapid City Rush
- Everblades Defeat Grizzlies 6-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Fast and Furious: Four-Goal Burst Sends 'Blades Past Grizzlies - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Forward Shawn McBride Loaned Back to Norfolk from Hartford
- Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 14th
- Strong Start Not Enough as Rabbits Squeak by Admirals
- Three First Period Goals Too Much as Admirals Hop by Rabbits
- Forward Artem Ivanyuzenkov Loaned to Norfolk from AHL's San Jose Barracuda