Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory
A day after IL home run leader Austin Riley was promoted to the Atlanta Braves, and homered himself, Gwinnett picked up right where they left off Wednesday night with four more home in an 11-2 victory over the Herd Thursday night at Sahlen Field.
The Stripers left the ballpark in each of the first three innings, beginning with Adam Duvall clubbing his 13th home run of the season, tying him with Louisville's Josh VanMeter for second in the International League. They also plated a run in each of the first seven innings of the game.
Travis Demeritte and Alex Jackson each connected on solo shots of their own in the second and third innings respectively. Sean Kazmar Jr. had the lone Gwinnett homer that drove in more than one run- a two-run roundtripper that came in the four-run fifth inning.
Gwinnett left the ballpark a total of 10 times during the three-game sweep at Sahlen Field and hit home runs in six consecutive innings between the second and third games combined.
The Bisons mustered just two runs in the loss, one in the fourth and the other in the eighth inning. Like Wednesday night, Cavan Biggio had an RBI double, this time bringing home Anthony Alford. Alford drove in a run of his own, as Reese McGuire crossed the plate on his RBI groundout.
Shawn Morimando was tacked with the loss, yielding three of the home runs and five runs all together on seven hits in four innings.
For the Stripers, Bryse Wilson tossed 7.1 innings giving up just four hits in the win. The two runs he surrendered were unearned as a result of errors.
Buffalo continues their homestand as they host the Louisville Bats for a three-game set. Promotions are plentiful this weekend as tomorrow is a Honda fridaynightbash!, followed by Thank A Vet Day Saturday and ending with a Kids Club Sunday with special guest from PAW Patrol.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.