Railriders Hold off Indians
DIANAPOLIS, - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders held off a furious rally in the bottom of the 9th inning in which the Indianapolis Indians trailed by four runs, but ultimately brought the winning run to the plate before Cale Coshow slammed the door on a 7-4 SWB victory.
It was a 7-1 lead for the RailRiders entering the 8th inning, but Will Craig delivered his 10th home run of the season for Indianapolis- a two-run bomb to left-centerfield- that made it a 7-3 deficit. Then in the bottom of the 9th inning the Indians notched a lead-off double before a pair of popouts. Down to their final out, Indianapolis walked three times to plate a run, but a strikeout of Kevin Kramer ended the game with the potential tying run at first base.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre started the offense early with a run, staking starting pitcher Drew Hutchison to a lead before he had even thrown a pitch. Trey Amburgery led off the game with a triple and scored on a groundout by Ryan McBroom. The Indians, however, tied the game in the home half of the inning on three singles to make it 1-1.
After the starters matched zeros in the second and third, the RailRiders touched up Indy starting pitcher Dario Agrazal in the fourth. The Tribe starting pitcher had only walked two batters over his first 46.1 innings of the season, but walked two-in-a-row with two outs. Cliff Pennington drove a 1-2 offering from Agrazal onto the right-field berm to push Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ahead 4-1. Gosuke Katoh doubled and scored on a single by Billy Burns, knocking Agrazal from the game.
In the fifth, Kyle Higashioka and Brad Miller hit back-to-back home runs off reliever Luis Escobar to extend the advantage to 7-1.
RailRiders starter Drew Hutchison pitched six innings and allowed just one unearned run in the first inning, striking out a season-best nine batters. He entered his final inning having already thrown 92 pitches and needed just seven more to retire the final three men in order and push the game into the 7th inning. Entering the game, he had a 6.75 ERA this season and lowered it to 5.60 following Thursday's game.
The RailRiders pile on the bus following their series-ending win over the Indians, heading 3.5 hours northeast to Toledo, Ohio to take on the Toledo Mud Hens for four games over three days beginning Friday night. Pregame coverage with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino begins at 6:05 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network with first pitch for Friday's doubleheader set for 6:35 p.m.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns