Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Gwinnett Stripers (24-16) backed up a quality start from Bryse Wilson with 13 hits and four home runs in an 11-2 drubbing of the Buffalo Bisons (14-22) on Thursday night at Sahlen Field. Adam Duvall, Travis Demeritte, Alex Jackson, and Sean Kazmar Jr. all went deep in Gwinnett's sixth straight win.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers scored single runs in the first, second, and third innings on solo homers from Duvall (13), Demeritte (6), and Jackson (7), all off Buffalo starter Shawn Morimando. The lead grew to 5-0 in the top of the fourth on RBI doubles by Kazmar Jr. and Luis Marte. The Bisons ended the shutout in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI double by Cavan Biggio to make it 5-1, but Gwinnett responded with a four-run fifth highlighted by a two-run homer from Kazmar Jr. (3) off Conor Fisk. A sixth-inning RBI single by Jackson and seventh-inning RBI ground out by Jack Lopez pushed the lead to 11-1. Buffalo made it 11-2 in the eighth with an RBI ground out from Anthony Alford.
Stripers Stats: Wilson turned in the longest start by a Stripers pitcher this season, going 7.1 innings with four hits, two unearned runs, one walk, and five strikeouts. Jason Creasy pitched the final 1.2 innings with one strikeout. At the plate, Jackson was 3-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs, and Kazmar Jr. was 2-for-5 with a double, homer, and three RBIs. Demeritte extended his on-base streak to 19 games, going 2-for-5 with a homer and one RBI.
Bisons Stats: Morimando (L, 1-3) was tagged for five runs in 4.0 innings, and Fisk gave up five more runs over 2.0 innings in relief. Alford went 1-for-3 with an RBI, and Biggio went 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
Postgame Notes: Gwinnett's six-game winning streak matches the club's longest this season (April 21-27). The Stripers swept the three-game series in Buffalo, hitting 10 home runs and outscoring the Bisons 28-7. The Stripers' 36 homers in May are a new Gwinnett single-month record (previous record was 33 in August 2010 and April 2019), and the club leads the International League with 69 total homers this season.
Next Game (Friday, May 17): Gwinnett at Pawtucket, 6:05 p.m. Eastern. LHP Kolby Allard (2-2, 4.00 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Matthew Kent (0-0, 3.60 ERA) for the Red Sox. Radio Broadcast: 5:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule