Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16)
me 40, Away 20
Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16)
RHP Vladimir Gutierrez (1-3, 7.84) vs. LHP Hector Santiago (2-1, 3.75)
6:35 PM | Thursday, May 16, 2019 | NBT Bank Stadium
LISTEN: Nick Curran, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
RUBBER MATCH: Louisville and Syracuse meet in the series finale on Thursday night after splitting Wednesday's doubleheader, which took place after Tuesday night's game was postponed due to unsafe field conditions. Louisville goes for its second consecutive series win, and its fifth overall on the season, with all but one coming on the road. Tonight, right-hander Vladimir Gutierrez looks to build off his strong performance against Syracuse in his last outing, allowing just 2 runs in 6.0 innings in his first quality start of 2019.
AGAINST SYRACUSE: The Bats and Mets square off for the final time in the 2019 regular season, with Louisville looking to salvage a tie in the season series. Syracuse took 2 of 3 from the Bats at Louisville Slugger Field last week, and the Bats try to return the favor today after splitting yesterday's doubleheader. The Bats' current trip to Syracuse and Buffalo is their first out-of-division road trip in 2019, the latest into a season the Bats have played their first out-of-division road game in team history.
SHUTOUT, THEN SHUT OUT: Louisville earned its third shutout win of the season in game one of Wednesday's doubleheader, winning by a 2-0 score. Syracuse got revenge in game two, winning 5-0. It was the first time Louisville's been shut out this season, last failing to score in a game on Sept. 3 in the final game of 2018. Last night marked the first time that both games of a Louisville DH involved shutouts since April 14, 2015, when LOU won and lost 1-0 games, respectively, at home vs. Columbus.
TALE OF TWO HITTIES: The Mets recorded 3 hits in game one yesterday, tied for the fewest hits allowed by Louisville pitching this season. The Bats allowed their opponents to just 3 hits in a game previously in back-to-back games on April 9-10. In the latter game of the doubleheader, Louisville recorded just 2 hits as an offense, tied for the fewest they've collected in a game, occurring 3 times this season and last on April 21 before Wednesday.
GAME #40: After Thursday, the Bats will have played their 40th game of the season, with 100 remaining in 2019. LOU comes in with a 17-22 record, owning a 13-27 record in both 2017 and 2018 after 40 games. Louisville also plays its 20th road game of the year, matching their 20 home games played so far. LOU is 7-13 at home and 10-9 on the road coming into play Thursday, one of 6 IL teams above .500 in away games.
IF I CAN MAKE IT THERE, I CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE: The Bats put a streak on the line today, having either won or tied their last 4 series in the state of New York. Louisville last dropped a series against a New York-based team in 2017, dropping 2 of 3 against Rochester from April 28-30. Louisville also has either won or tied 4 straight road series at Syracuse, last losing a series on the road against them in 2014 (1-3).
I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS: Syracuse's Dilson Herrera hit a solo home run off Sal Romano in last night's second game. The former Bat and Red is the fifth former Louisville Bat to homer against the Bats this season, joining Brandon Dixon (TOL), Raffy Lopez (GWN), Zach Vincej (NOR) and Mason Williams, 2 (NOR).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Fans Invited to Play Catch at the Ballpark
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled
- Louisville Slugger Field Advances in "Best of Ballparks" TournamentÃÂ
- Take Batting Practice at Louisville Slugger Field
- Bats to Re-Air Broadcast from 1995 American Association Championship