Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls fell into any early hole and couldn't complete the comeback, falling 7-5 against Lehigh Valley Thursday night at the DBAP. Nick Pivetta (3-1) picked up the win for the IronPigs, while Oliver Drake (1-2) suffered the loss for the Bulls.
After a scoreless first inning, Drake ran into trouble in the second as the IronPigs offense broke through. Damek Tomscha hit a two-run double to put the IronPigs ahead, and Gift Ngoepe added on immediately with a two-run double of his own to take a 4-0 lead. The lead was extended to 5-0 thanks to an Ali Castillo RBI-single, before the Bulls finally stopped the bleeding.
Durham was able to get one back in the bottom of the third, when Nathan Lukes hit a solo home run to deep right field to make it 5-1. From that point, both offenses went silent, with Pivetta and Bulls reliever Ricardo Pinto matching each other strike-for-strike.
Pinto was relieved in the seventh inning by Mike Franco, who allowed an RBI sacrifice bunt by Malquin Canelo to make it 6-1. The IronPigs struck once again in the top of eighth inning, thanks to a Deivy Grullon RBI double to make it 7-1. Christian Arroyo was able to get a late run back for the Bulls on a bases-loaded walk, and Nick Solak added an RBI sacrifice fly to make it 7-3 in the eighth inning.
The Bulls made a late push in the ninth inning, bringing the tying run to the plate. Jake Cronenworth drove in a run on an RBI double to make it 7-4, then Kean Wong recorded an RBI sacrifice fly to shrink the deficit to 7-5. However, the Bulls couldn't break through, as IronPigs reliever Yacksel Rios recorded the save to prevent Durham from sweeping the three-game series.
The Bulls will begin a three-game set against the Rochester Red Wings at 7:05 p.m. Friday at the DBAP. Bulls left-hander Ryan Yarbrough will face off against Red Wings left-hander Devin Smeltzer.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.