Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls fell into any early hole and couldn't complete the comeback, falling 7-5 against Lehigh Valley Thursday night at the DBAP. Nick Pivetta (3-1) picked up the win for the IronPigs, while Oliver Drake (1-2) suffered the loss for the Bulls.
After a scoreless first inning, Drake ran into trouble in the second as the IronPigs offense broke through. Damek Tomscha hit a two-run double to put the IronPigs ahead, and Gift Ngoepe added on immediately with a two-run double of his own to take a 4-0 lead. The lead was extended to 5-0 thanks to an Ali Castillo RBI-single, before the Bulls finally stopped the bleeding.
Durham was able to get one back in the bottom of the third, when Nathan Lukes hit a solo home run to deep right field to make it 5-1. From that point, both offenses went silent, with Pivetta and Bulls reliever Ricardo Pinto matching each other strike-for-strike.
Pinto was relieved in the seventh inning by Mike Franco, who allowed an RBI sacrifice bunt by Malquin Canelo to make it 6-1. The IronPigs struck once again in the top of eighth inning, thanks to a Deivy Grullon RBI double to make it 7-1. Christian Arroyo was able to get a late run back for the Bulls on a bases-loaded walk, and Nick Solak added an RBI sacrifice fly to make it 7-3 in the eighth inning.
The Bulls made a late push in the ninth inning, bringing the tying run to the plate. Jake Cronenworth drove in a run on an RBI double to make it 7-4, then Kean Wong recorded an RBI sacrifice fly to shrink the deficit to 7-5. However, the Bulls couldn't break through, as IronPigs reliever Yacksel Rios recorded the save to prevent Durham from sweeping the three-game series.
The Bulls will begin a three-game set against the Rochester Red Wings at 7:05 p.m. Friday at the DBAP. Bulls left-hander Ryan Yarbrough will face off against Red Wings left-hander Devin Smeltzer.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Wander Franco Expected to Join Bulls on MLB Rehab Assignment
- Triple-A Final Stretch to Benefit Durham Bulls Youth Athletic League
- Bark in the Park, Afforda-Bull Eats, Mini Bat Giveaways, Two Fireworks Shows and Fan Appreciation Highlight Final Bulls Homestand of 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights