IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak
(Allentown, Pa) - Nick Pivetta (3-1) dazzled on Thursday night in the series finale as the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (20-17) won 7-5 against the Durham Bulls (23-16).
The IronPigs scored five runs against Oliver Drake (1-2) in the top of the second inning that helped set the tone for the rest of the game. Damek Tomscha hit two-run double that was followed by an RBI double by Gift Ngoepe and an RBI single by Ali Castillo. Drake lasted just one inning before being pulled for Ricardo Pinto.
Nathan Lukes homered off Pivetta in the bottom of the third inning to cut the IronPigs lead to 5-1. That would be the only run Pivetta allowed as he proceeded to strike out 11 batters over seven innings.
Malquin Canelo laid down a sacrifice bunt in the top of the seventh inning to drive in a run for the IronPigs. Deivy Grullon gave the Pigs a 7-1 lead in the top of the eighth inning as he hit an RBI double.
Luke Leftwich gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Josh Martin recorded just one out and allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning before being pulled for Yacksel Rios. Rios earned his second save of the season by recording the final two outs of the game.
Lehigh Valley continues their road trip on Friday night as they will play the Charlotte Knights. First pitch is scheduled for 7:04 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Knights Complete Sweep with Extra-Inning Win - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs snap eight-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Walk off to Finish Sweep with 3-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Five-Run 2nd Inning Dooms Bulls - Durham Bulls
- Mets Power Past Bats with Five Home Runs in 12-3 Win - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Powers Way to 11-2 Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Drop Series Finale in Syracuse, 12-3 - Louisville Bats
- Teoscar Hernandez Optioned to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Indy's Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by RailRiders - Indianapolis Indians
- Railriders Hold off Indians - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (17-22) at Syracuse Mets (22-16) - Louisville Bats
- Travis Leads PawSox to Comeback Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Toledo's Bats Come up Short, Harold Castro Extends Hit Streak - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Broadway Fireworks on Saturday - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tribe Ladies Give Back - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Schedule Adjusted - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway - Gwinnett Stripers
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (20-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-16) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.