Grrrowl Announce Playoff Dates
GREENVILLE, SC - The Greenville Grrrowl have announced their opening round dates for the 2006 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Greenville will host Game One of the Best of Three Division Quarterfinals at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 9th. Game Two will be played at either Augusta or Charlotte on Tuesday, April 11th. Game Three (if necessary) will be played at the BI-LO Center on Wednesday, April 12th at 7:05 p.m.
Tickets for Greenville's first home playoff game will go on sale through Ticketmaster and the BI-LO Center Box Office at 10 a.m. on Friday, April 7th.
Although Greenville has two games left in the regular season (this Friday and Saturday at the BI-LO Center), the Grrrowl are mathematically locked into third place in the Southern Division of the American Conference. This means the Grrrowl hold home ice advantage in the Division Quarterfinals, where they will play a best-of-three series against the sixth place team. Augusta is currently in sixth place, sitting three points behind Charlotte entering the final weekend of the season.
This is the second straight season the Grrrowl have made the playoffs. Greenville upset the top-seeded Pensacola Ice Pilots in the first round last year, but was swept out of the second round by Florida. In 2002, Greenville won the Kelly Cup.
Greenville has gone 6-2-0 against Augusta this season and is 6-3-0 against Charlotte. The Grrrowl host the Lynx on Friday and the Checkers on Saturday in potential playoff previews. For tickets to the remaining regular season games, call 864-233-2525.
Below is a letter from Greenville Grrrowl President Ed Rubinstein:
Dear Greenville Grrrowl Fan:
I want to take this opportunity to explain the issues regarding the schedule for the Grrrowl's first round playoff dates.
In short, our first game against either the Augusta Lynx or Charlotte Checkers will take place at the BI-LO Center on Sunday April 9th at 11:30 a.m.. Game two will be either at Augusta or Charlotte on Tuesday April 11th. The third game in the series, if necessary, will take place at the BI-LO Center on Wednesday April 12th at 7:05 p.m.
Because of scheduling conflicts at the BI-LO Center, the Grrrowl was prepared to play the first game of the series on the road on April 11th. We would then have played game two on April 12th in Greenville and, if necessary, game three on April 13th in Greenville. However, the Florida Everblades, the team we would play in the next round of the playoffs if we win the first series insisted on playing the first two games of the second series on April 14th and 15th. This would create the possibility that the Grrrowl would have had to play more than the limit of three games in three consecutive days as specified in the ECHL Collective Bargaining Agreement with its players.
Although we strenuously objected to the Everblades' position, Florida would not consider changing their position. Therefore, the Grrrowl prevailed upon the BI-LO Center to interrupt its preparations for a skating event to be held on April 11th to allow us to play the first game of the series in Greenville on Sunday. The only alternative was to play the game at a practice facility or other neutral site outside of Greenville. Neither of those alternatives were seriously considered as we wanted to give our loyal fans the opportunity to see the Grrrowl play at home with a true home ice advantage.
We look forward to seeing you at the BI-LO Center on Sunday April 9th when the puck drops at 11:30. Please read the enclosed letter concerning your playoff tickets. And, in case you were wondering, we do not have a final schedule as to when Florida will be playing in Greenville if we should reach the second round. We will keep you updated.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2006
- Grizzlies drop regular season home finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Kevin St. Jacques records 1,000th career point - Bakersfield Condors
- Curtin named first team All-ECHL - Fresno Falcons
- Aces announce first-round playoff dates - Alaska Aces
- Victoria Salmon Kings video broadcast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Blue Man Group to perform at Saturday's game - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Aces aplenty on all-ECHL teams - Alaska Aces
- Magliarditi named All-ECHL Second Team - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Lynx get Lundberg from AHL - Augusta Lynx
- Lynx announce home playoff date and ticket information - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Kim Back From Portland, Will Play Wednesday - San Diego Gulls
- Campbell and Milam named to All ECHL First Team - Atlanta Gladiators
- America One Game Of The Week Is Greenville At Florida - ECHL
- Grrrowl Announce Playoff Dates - Greenville Grrrowl
- Girardi named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Charlotte Checkers
- 2005-06 All-ECHL First Team Announced - ECHL
- Lojek gets call to AHL - Florida Everblades
- San Diego Gets Alex Kim Back In The Lineup - San Diego Gulls
- Global Spectrum and the Trenton Titans Team Up with Community Blood Council - Trenton Devils
- 2005-06 All-ECHL Second Team Announced - ECHL
- Steelheads debut center and defenseman in tonight's finale - Idaho Steelheads
- SpongeBob Squarepants in Condorstown on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Mike Ayers going back to Syracuse - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.