Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies battled back from a 3-2 third period deficit to defeat the Stockton Thunder 5-3 Saturday night at the E-Center. Evan Kotsopoulos scored the game-winning goal for Utah on a shorthanded breakway with 9:26 left to go in regulation.
933 teddy bears were thrown onto the ice in the team's annual Teddy Bear Toss. The bears will be donated to patients at Primary Children's Medical Center during the teams all-team visit Tuesday.
Utah trailed 2-0 after one period despite outshooting the Thunder 13-5.
The deficit was 3-2 after two periods as the two teams traded three goals in the second period. Andy Sertich scored for Utah on the power-play 3:57 into the period to make it 2-1. Mike Walsh made it 3-2 with 1:19 left in the second pounding home a rebound.
In the third, James Sixsmith tied the game at three as he chased down a puck after Mike Walsh won a face-off and followed it into the net for his eighth goal of the season.
Utah made it 5-3 as Tim Verbeek scored unassisted with 36 seconds left in regulation scoring an empty-net goal as he fired the puck from the blue line.
Kotsopoulos' goal extended his scoring streak to a team season-high of eight games.
Mike Mole stopped 22 of Stockton's last 23 shots after the Thunder built a 2-0 lead scoring on two of their first four shots.
Walsh and Sixsmith each finished the game with one goal and one assist.
The Grizzlies open a four-game road trip Thursday in Phoenix. The team returns home Saturday, December 27 hosting Idaho.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.