Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3
Estero, FL - Travis Morin scored four goals and Ian Vigier got his first win in his first ECHL start, as the South Carolina Stingrays defeated the Florida Everblades 7-3 at Germain Arena in Estero, FL.
"You can't say enough about the kid [Vigier] in net tonight," said Head Coach Jared Bednar. "Two really big games for us this weekend; I'm really proud of these guys."
In the first period, Morin scored his first two goals of the night to give the Rays the early lead. His first goal came10:37 from Ben Boudreau and Keith Johnson. His second goal would come under five minutes later, at 15:17. The goal was Morin's sixth on the year from Trent Campbell and Johnson to make it 2-0 after one period of play.
The second period started with the Stingrays making it a 3-0 game on Matt Scherer's fourth goal of the year. The power play goal came at 2:30 from Brad Farynuk and Campbell. After Ernie Hartlieb cut into the lead on the power play, Morin answer back. Just seven seconds after making it a 3-1 game, Morin got his third goal of the night from Tom Maxwell and Johnson at 6:53. At 8:25 it was Morin again, with his fourth goal of the night, his eighth goal of the year, to make it 5-1. Pierre-Luc O'Brien added to lead, potting the Stingrays sixth goal, his seventh of the year, from Campbell and Matt Scherer at 9:17.
Hartlieb would make it a 6-2 game before the end of the period, and Kevin Baker would make it a 6-3 game in the third period, but it wouldn't be enough. Paul Kelly would put the nail in the coffin as he would get his fourth goal of the year at 13:46, from Morin and Farynuk on the power play, to make it a 7-3 lead, the eventual final.
The winning goaltender was Vigier who stopped 33 of the 36 shots he faced. David Leggio and Anton Khudobin combined to stop 24 of the 31 shots the Stingrays took, with Leggio stopping 21 of 25, and Khudobin stopping three of six. The Rays went 3-6 on the power play while killing off two of the five short handed situations they faced.
The Rays will be back in action next Friday when they play host to Northern Division foes, the Elmira Jackals. Game time will be at 7:05 P.M. You can hear the game live on REAL 1340 starting with the Benitos pre-game show beginning at 6:50. Don't forget to stop by Bobby Hartin's sports grille and raw bar on Monday night at 6 for Monday Night Hockey with Stingrays' head coach Jared Bednar.
Don't miss all the fast-paced, hard-hitting action! Individual tickets can be purchased at the North Charleston Coliseum box office, by calling Ticketmaster at (843) 554-6060 and online at www.ticketmaster.com.
Full and partial season tickets are available by calling (843) 744-2248 or by visiting online at www.stingrayshockey.com. Stingrays Hockey - A Whole Lot Cooler!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.