Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2
Cincinnati, OH - The Charlotte Checkers went down two goals after the first period against the Cincinnati Cyclones but came out for the next forty minutes with a mission that ended with Checkers forward Peter Tsimikalis scoring a game winning goal scored 37 seconds before regulation was about to expire.
The defending champions scored the first two goals of the contest on giveaways by the Checkers deep in their zone. First it was Checkers goaltender Maxime Daigneault who misplayed the puck behind his net resulting in a loose puck in front of an empty cage for Barret Ehgoetz who made no mistake at 4:31. Later, Cyclones forward Thomas Beauregard banged home a one-timer on a turnover behind the Checkers net on a nice pass from Ryan Toomey at 16:07.
The Checkers tied the contest in the next twenty minutes of action. Charlotte defenseman Julien Brouillette streaked down the ice on the left wing side and flipped a cross ice pass that hit the body of Cincinnati goaltender Martin Houle at . The Checkers tied the contest just after killing a penalty. Ryan Murphy skated outside the penalty box and across the ice to grab the puck and pass it to Checkers forward Matthew Ford. Quickly, Ford passed to Mike Bayrack and the two went away on a two-on-one break when Bayrack fed Ford with a nice pass that was knifed past Houle at 18:20.
In the dying moments of the third period, the Checkers pounced on a Cincinnati turnover deep in the offensive zone. Tsimikalis grabbed a loose puck and made a nifty move to deek Houle and lift a backhand shot over the goalies glove and in the net giving Charlotte the winning goal at 19:23.
The Checkers are playing their 16th season of play as a member of the ECHL. The next home game will take place Dec. 17th night against the Elmira Jackals at 7 p.m. start. In the team's 15-year history, the Checkers have made the playoffs 11 times including four consecutive playoff appearances to date. The Checkers are entering their fourth season of play at Time Warner Cable Arena. Season tickets are on sale now with full-season packages starting at just $396. For season ticket information, please call 704-342-4-ICE or visit www.gocheckers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
- Checkers Clamp Down Cleveland in 2-1 Win