Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5
FRESNO, Calif. - LW Jarrett Konkle netted a hat trick and the game-winner to lead the Fresno Falcons to a 6-5 overtime win against the Bakersfield Condors before 3,630 fans at Selland Arena Friday night. F Matt Pope led the Condors with a pair of goals in the game.
After Fresno (17-8-1, 35pts) took a 2-0 lead in the first period, the Condors (8-11-4, 20pts) rebounded with a pair of goals in the second half of the opening stanza to tie it, 2-2. F Andrew Ianiero got the Condors on the board with his fourth of the year at 13:24. RW Mike Wirll, skating in his first game with the Condors this season, registered the first of his two assists in the game on Ianiero's goal. Pope followed suit just 47 seconds later with his team-leading 12th tally of the campaign to even the score. However, the Falcons pulled back ahead with a late power play goal to take a 3-2 advantage into the first intermission.
Midway through the second period, Falcons LW Jarrett Konkle extended the Fresno lead with his 10th goal of the year. However, the Condors finished the frame strong, as D Martin Frechette found the back of the net to bring Bakersfield back within one, 4-3, with just 16 seconds left in the period. C Brett Pilkington and Wirll notched the assists on the goal.
Pope tied the game for the Condors with his second of the game 7:06 into the third period, but Konkle responded with his second on the night to put Fresno up, 5-4. The Condors refused to go away, and tied the game once again when D Chris Kaufman netted his first of the season at 17:46 to send the game to overtime.
Konkle completed the hat trick and lifted the Falcons to victory with a power play goal 1:52 in the extra session. Condors G Ryan Nie made the start and stopped 20 of 26 shots in the overtime loss, which moves Bakersfield back into a tie for 3rd place in the Pacific Division.
Notes from the Nest: The team returns to the Mercy & Memorial Hospitals Home Ice at Rabobank Arena on Saturday, Dec. 13 to host the Las Vegas Wranglers. Scooby-Doo, presented by Bright House Networks, 101.5 KGFM and Bakersfield Marriott, will be at the game to meet fans and pose for pictures in the Condors Photo Booth. Doors open at 11 a.m., the puck drops at noon.
Saturday's game also features the Condors inaugural "Sing for Santa" Christmas karaoke event, during which all fans are encouraged to join in the holiday spirit and sing Christmas carols at The Nest!
In addition to being broadcast live on ESPN Radio 1230, B2 Networks and Bakersfieldcondors.com, Saturday's game will be televised live on Bright House Networks Ch. 21 and will be available On Demand on Ch. 300 starting Sunday.
Get Tickets: Individual game tickets may be purchased through the Rabobank Arena Box Office, which is open from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Saturday with extended hours on game days. Tickets may also be purchased by phone at 322-2525, online at Bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location. Season tickets, mini-plans and group outings are available at the Condors office located at 1001 Truxtun Avenue or by calling 324-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Season to Start February 5
- Enter to Win 2 Tix to Every Arena Event in 2021 with a COVID-19 Test
- Condors Sign Ryan Stanton and Graham McPhee
- Condors Sam Kim Named Video and Coaching Coordinator for the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Condors Cooper Marody to Release Song to Benefit the Colby Cave Memorial Fund