Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2
BILOXI, MS - Jeremy Duchesne's 60 saves eclipsed a Sea Wolves team record that stood for over 10 years as Mississippi defeated the Gwinnett Gladiators by the score of 4-2 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on Saturday.
Jeremy Hall got the Sea Wolves on the board just 41 seconds into the game when his wrist shot beat Gwinnett goalie Josh Johnson up high. Ryan Cruthers followed up the rebound of Alexandre Parent's shot from the left wing for his 14th goal of the season at 4:27 of the first period to give the Sea Wolves a 2-0 lead. Jordan Fox got the Gladiators on the biard wen he found the rebound of Dan Sullivan's shot on the power play and beat Duchesne to the stick side. Mathieu Melanson's 10th goal of the season gave the Sea Wolves back their two-goal lead at 13:44 of the first.
Mike Berry scored his second goal in as many games when he hammered home a centering pass from Ryan Cruthers at 9:25 of the second.
Myles Stoesz scored his first goal of the year on a penalty shot at 10:42 of the third period, but that was as close Gwinnett would come, as Duchesne made 19 saves through the third period to preserve the lead.
In all, Duchesne made 19 saves in the first period, 22 in the second, and 19 in the third for a total of 60 saves the broke the record of 59 set by Brad Guzda on March 28, 1998 in a 6-2 win at Pensacola.
The Sea Wolves are home Sunday afternoon at 5:05 p.m. against the Gwinnett Gladiators! Get your tickets today by calling (228) 275-WOLF.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.