Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners
Victoria, BC - In a Friday night match-up the Victoria Salmon Kings and Phoenix RoadRunners met in the first of a two-game weekend series. Goaltender Todd Ford started in net for the Kings while the RoadRunners countered with Craig Kowalski.
The Salmon Kings took an early lead just 16 seconds into the opening frame. Sean O'Connor redirected a Tim Wedderburn shot past Kowalski. The goal was O'Connor's sixth of the season. The first period would end with the Salmon Kings leading 1-0.
The Salmon Kings scored again early in the second period to take a 2-0 lead. Chris St. Jacques netted a Dylan Yeo rebound at 1:55 for his sixth goal of the season. Jacob Dietrich extended the lead to 3-0 at the five minute mark of the middle frame. Dietrich rushed the net with the puck and put his fourth goal of the year through Kowalski's legs. Darryl Lloyd gave the Kings a four goal lead at 14:36 when he scored his fourth goal of the year on a rebound off a St. Jacques shot. Curtis Billsten potted a short-handed goal on a RoadRunners giveaway at 15:53 to expand the Kings' lead to 5-0. Billsten's goal was his fourth of the year. The RoadRunners relieved Kowalski for the night, replacing him with Kyle Jones. That would round up the scoring for the second period. The Kings carry a 5-0 lead going into the third and final frame.
Darryl Lloyd scored making it 6-0 a mere 54 seconds into the third period, scoring his second of the game and fifth of the season. Lloyd, in close, put the puck over Jones' glove off a rebound from Gary Gladue. Dylan Yeo finished the scoring on the power play with just over 15 seconds remaining in the game, firing a wrist shot past Jones for his eighth goal of the year. Salmon Kings 7 RoadRunners 0.
Victoria finished 1/10=10% on the power play, while Phoenix finished 0/4 = 0%. Final shots were 39-26 for the Salmon Kings.
The Salmon Kings extended their season high shutout streak to 152:22, and their shutout streak versus the RoadRunners to 137:47 (18 goals for versus 0 against during that span).
The Salmon Kings and RoadRunners meet for the final time during the 2008-09 regular season on Sunday evening at 5:05 p.m. This will also mark the Salmon Kings third annual Teddy Bear Toss. Tickets available call 250-220-7777.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2008
- Falcons fall 5-1 - Fresno Falcons
- Utah rallies for four goals in final 21 minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Win Second-Straight Over Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Morin's Four Goals Pace Stingrays Past Florida, 7-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades drop second straight to Stingrays, 7-3 - Florida Everblades
- Nailers defeat Reading Royals for 4th win in last 5 games. - Wheeling Nailers
- Sea Wolves stop Gladiators 4-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Gladiators Fall 4-2 to Sea Wolves - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers stun Cyclones, win 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Costs Cincinnati Cyclones In 3-2 Defeat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wranglers storm back on Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades get Leggio back from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Wranglers Late Surge Downs Condors 5-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Fresno Falcons - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Goepfert Called up to Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bakersfield Condors vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Dupuis, Rodney Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 382 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Lamoureux Silences Steelheads, Aces Win 3-0 - Alaska Aces
- Steelheads blanked by Aces, despite thirty-three shot effort - Idaho Steelheads
- Falcons top Condors in overtime, 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Win in Overtime - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings Shutout Roadrunners - Victoria Salmon Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Salmon Kings Stories
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff
- Salmon Kings Withdraw from ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Season Ends with Game 4 Loss
- Alaska takes 3-0 series lead with 6-2 victory over Victoria