Gomber's Gem Helps Redbirds Split with Round Rock
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Austin Gomber tossed a complete-game shutout in Game 2 of Saturday night's doubleheader, helping the Memphis Redbirds (8-8) split the double-dip with the Round Rock Express (Astros).
On the day, Adolis Garcia homered twice and drove in four runs, and Rangel Ravelo had three hits, three RBI, and scored two runs. John Nogowski was on base twice in each game.
With a fifth-inning single in Game 1, Tommy Edman extended his hitting streak to 10 games. He has a hit in 11 of his 13 games played this season.
Game 1: Round Rock 11, Memphis 6
The Redbirds led 6-2 heading into the top of the seventh, but the Express plated nine runs and finished an 11-6 win.
Garcia cranked a three-run home run in the fifth inning to break a 2-2 deadlock.
Alex Reyes started and tossed 3.0 innings, giving up one hit and striking out four. He threw 25 of his 40 pitches for strikes.
Game 2: Memphis 3, Round Rock 0
Gomber was spectacular in 7.0 innings, giving up just three hits and non after the fourth inning. He faced the minimum in his final five innings of work, including retiring nine-straight Express to end the ballgame.
He needed just 87 pitches, 55 of which went for strikes.
Garcia homered again in the nightcap, and Drew Robinson and Edmundo Sosa drove in Memphis' other runs.
The Redbirds and Express' four-game series continues through Monday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Sunday, April 21 at 2:05: Postgame on-field candy drop from a helicopter, Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering), pregame autographs presented by Allegiant Air
Monday, April 22 at 11:05 a.m.: a special day game
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Big Fourth Inning Helps Cubs to 11-1 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Gomber's Gem Helps Redbirds Split with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Capture 11-1 Victory over Dodgers - Iowa Cubs
- Erceg and Smith Lead Missions' Charge - San Antonio Missions
- Express Complete Epic Comeback in Doubleheader Split - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Opener against San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Win on Walk-Off Wild Pitch - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Takes Series Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Offense comes alive in rout of Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Fresno's staff stymies Las Vegas in 3-1 win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Friday Night Spoiled After 4-1 Loss to El Paso - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Blank Tacoma in Series Opener Behind Castellani's Quality Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets on Sale
- AutoZone Park Set to Host St. Louis Cardinals Caravan
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership