Fresno's staff stymies Las Vegas in 3-1 win
Fresno, California - The Fresno Grizzlies (9-6) left the Las Vegas Aviators (13-3) grounded Friday night with a 3-1 victory. Las Vegas came into the evening with a four-game win streak, but the Fresno pitching staff made sure it didn't get to five. Henderson Alvarez tossed four strong innings before handing the ball to the bullpen. Dakota Bacus (2.0 IP, Win), Vidal Nuno (2.0 IP) and Jimmy Cordero (1.0 IP, Save) continued the outstanding work, not allowing a hit or run while punching out five.
The staff was backed up by a Jacob Wilson first inning bomb and fifth inning sacrifice fly. Jake Noll also added an insurance single to center in the eighth. Wilson's homer was his PCL-leading eighth and continued the Grizzlies home run streak to 15 games.
Eric Campbell recorded the only RBI for the Aviators, a first inning RBI single. He finished with three hits on the evening. Tanner Anderson (1-1) suffered the loss despite six innings of two-run ball (one earned).
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- Bullpen (5.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 5 K)
- 3B Jacob Wilson (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB)
- LF Yadiel Hernandez (3-4, 2B)
Top Performers: Las Vegas Aviators (Oakland Athletics)
- 1B Eric Campbell (3-5, RBI)
- RHP Tanner Anderson (6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Saturday April 20 Las Vegas Aviators (Home) RHP Kyle McGowin (Fresno) vs. RHP Daniel Mengden (Las Vegas) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: With Jacob Wilson's home run in the bottom of the first, the Grizzlies have now homered in 15 straight games to start the season. Wilson leads the PCL with eight homers and 23 RBI. The Seattle Mariners set an MLB record by recording a homer in 20 straight contests to start the 2019 season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Big Fourth Inning Helps Cubs to 11-1 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Gomber's Gem Helps Redbirds Split with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Capture 11-1 Victory over Dodgers - Iowa Cubs
- Erceg and Smith Lead Missions' Charge - San Antonio Missions
- Express Complete Epic Comeback in Doubleheader Split - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Opener against San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Baby Cakes Win on Walk-Off Wild Pitch - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (4-10) vs. San Antonio Missions (7-7) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (7-7) vs. Round Rock Express (9-5) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Takes Series Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Offense comes alive in rout of Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Fresno's staff stymies Las Vegas in 3-1 win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Friday Night Spoiled After 4-1 Loss to El Paso - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Blank Tacoma in Series Opener Behind Castellani's Quality Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.