Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits
WHO: Orlando Solar Bears at Greenville Swamp Rabbits
VENUE: Bon Secours Wellness Arena, Greenville, S.C.
DATE: Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m.
LISTEN: OSB Radio via Mixlr and TuneIn
TONIGHT: The Orlando Solar Bears (36-24-4-1) face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (23-39-3-3) for the eighth of nine total meetings between the two clubs this season. The Solar Bears lead the regular season series with a 4-2-1-0 record, most recently picking up a pair of wins over the Swamp Rabbits on home ice on Feb. 23 and 24.
PLAYOFF PICTURE: Orlando's magic number to clinch a berth in the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs is down to two points. A win tonight will secure a third consecutive postseason berth for the Solar Bears, and the fifth overall for the team. Should Orlando clinch tonight, it will be the earliest that the team has locked up a playoff spot. The Solar Bears previously clinched with five games remaining during the 2013-14 and 2017-18 seasons.
SCHOENBORN RETURNING TO LINEUP: The Solar Bears will receive a burst of energy in the return of Alex Schoenborn. The forward missed the last three games for Orlando, but has posted five points (2g-3a) in four games against the Swamp Rabbits this season, and leads Orlando with a +5 against Greenville.
KUQALI DRAWS BACK IN: Defenseman Alexander Kuqali will also make his return to the lineup for the first time since March 8 at Newfoundland. The blueliner had missed the previous nine games, but had contributed five assists in 15 games since his mid-season acquisition. Orlando has gone 10-4-1-0 with Kuqali in the lineup.
SPECIAL TEAMS BATTLE: The Solar Bears have gone 6-for-38 (15.8%) against the Swamp Rabbits this season, while the penalty kill has operated at a 22-for-26 (84.6%) clip.
SOMPPI LEADING ROOKIES FOR MARCH: Forward Otto Somppi leads Orlando's first-year contingent in scoring for the month of March. The rookie has 11 points (5g-6a) in his last 11 games, and has recorded at least a point in every game he has played against Greenville this season.
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears continue their five-game road trip when the team visits the South Carolina Stingrays at the North Charleston Coliseum on Saturday, March 30, at 7:05 p.m. The Solar Bears return to the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Tuesday, April 2 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for this game.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 29, 2019
- Steelheads Take Dramatic 4-3 Shootout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Keeping It 100: Florida Tops Norfolk to Clinch Eastern Conference - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Edge Wings in Shootout to Win Third Straight on Home Ice - Indy Fuel
- Third Period Vaults Swamp Rabbits to Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Two Points from Somppi Not Enough for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Knocks off Oilers, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Olivieri's Late Goal Not Enough as Florida Tops Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Take Goalie Duel in 2-1 Shootout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Snap Oilers Winning Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta Moves into Sole Possession of a Playoff Spot with 6-2 Win in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Brey Bests Beast in 3-2 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Drown Mariners to Davy Jones' Locker, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Mavericks' Losing Streak Hits Seven in 4-1 Loss at Toledo - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Score Five Unanswered Goals to Rally Past Komets - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Inch Closer to Playoff Spot But Fall in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Clinch North Division with Win over the Monarchs - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Fall to Growlers, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Florida Adds Goaltender Evan Weninger - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 29 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- The Anthony Myers Movement Raises $4,757.50 at March 23 Royals Game - Reading Royals
- Indy Receives Reinforcements from Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Labrie Loaned to AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: Everblades Battle Norfolk in Middle Game of Three-Game Set - Florida Everblades
- Americans Face Utah on Martinson Bobble Head Night - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, March 29 - Wheeling Nailers
- Atwal Headed to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day: Crucial Central Division Weekend Begins in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Maine Friday to Start Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Edged by IceMen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Sign Three Players - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- PHPA and ECHL Announce COVID-19 Relief Fund for ECHL Players
- Clint Windsor Signed by Syracuse Crunch
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 ECHL Season
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on ECHL Suspending Season
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Stingrays