Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa
FRESNO, CA - The Iowa Cubs (35-31) fell to the Fresno Grizzlies (33-32) in the first game of the three-game series by a final score of 7-6 Wednesday night.
Following a Robel Garcia single and a Jim Adduci double, Trent Giambrone singled to give the I-Cubs an early 2-0 lead in the second inning.
Iowa's starter Trevor Clifton was cruising, having allowed just two hits and one walk through four frames before everything turned on him. The Grizzlies used four doubles and five total hits to plate five runs in the home half of the fifth inning to take a 5-2 lead over Iowa.
Garcia hit a solo shot in the top of the sixth inning, his third home run in as many games to put the I-Cubs within two of Fresno.
Fresno added two more runs in the bottom of the seventh with an inside-the-park home run and a sacrifice fly to extend their lead to four.
Iowa made the game interesting in the ninth as outfielder Donnie Dewees got a pinch-hit RBI single to pull the team within three. The I-Cubs weren't done yet as they loaded the bases with two outs for Taylor Davis who singled in two more runs, but the Grizzlies got out of it and won the game by a final tally of 7-6.
- Seven of the first eight hits for Fresno were doubles, eight of their 10 total hits went for extra bases.
- With the loss, the I-Cubs fell to 19-9 when they score first and 23-11 in road games.
- Jim Adduci extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a double in the second inning.
- Robel Garcia hit a home run for the third game in a row to tye him for the team lead with Ian Happ with 11 home runs on the season. Garcia has hit these 11 home runs in just 32 games with Iowa.
The I-Cubs continue game two of the three-game set as they take on Fresno Thursday night at 9:05 p.m. CT. Follow the team on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Sounds Commit Four Errors in Loss to Las Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Slugfest Goes to Salt Lake, 13-11 - Memphis Redbirds
- Hiura's Career Night Leads Flying Chanclas to Rout of Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Three-Millionth Fan Expected to Attend Chihuahuas Game this Homestand - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League All-Star Fan Vote Update - PCL
- Winning with Strong Pitching - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs - Fresno Grizzlies
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas' Bats Have Just Enough to Outlast New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Nip 'Cakes 10-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, Lose 9-8 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop First Game of Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.