Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught
Albuquerque, N.M. - Zach Reks hit the team's first grand slam of the season as the Oklahoma City Dodgers jumped out to an early 6-0 lead and eventually put up a dozen runs during a 12-9 victory at Isotopes Park Wednesday night.
The Dodgers scored the game's first six runs and led by as many as seven before winning by three runs to open a seven-game road trip. The Dodgers (25-39) have now won six consecutive road games.
OKC did most of its damage with the bases loaded, going 3-for-3 with nine RBI.
Will Smith gave the Dodgers the first lead of the night when he slammed a booming home run toward left field and out of the stadium in the first inning.
With the bases loaded and two outs in the second inning, Reks connected on the team's first grand slam of the season. Reks hit a high-arching fly ball out to left field that landed the in the Albuquerque bullpen to push the lead to 5-0. For Reks, it was his fourth home run in the last five games.
The OKC offense kept it going in the third inning, with Angelo Mora adding a two-out RBI single.
The Isotopes (30-36) scored twice in the bottom of the third, cutting the OKC lead to 6-2. Drew Butera led off the inning with a solo homer, and Pat Valaika added a sacrifice fly.
Each team scored one run in the fourth inning. Reks nearly hit his second homer of the night, instead settling for a RBI double that hit off the 428-foot marker in center field. The Isotopes answered with a sac fly by Butera, making the score 7-3.
Yonathan Daza led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a solo homer, and Sam Hilliard added another with two outs, whittling the Dodgers' lead to two runs.
After the bases were empty with two outs in the sixth, the Dodgers sent six men to the plate and ended up scoring five runs. After three straight walks to load the bases, Edwin RÃ-os hit a two-run single. Two batters later with the bases loaded again, Mora hit a line drive over the head of Hilliard in right field to clear the bases and give the Dodgers their largest lead of the night at 12-5.
Mora finished with a team-high three hits and set a season-high with four RBI.
But the Isotopes didn't go quietly. They scored twice in the sixth inning on a two-out throwing error by shortstop Errol Robinson, pulling within 12-7.
The Dodgers still led by five runs entering the bottom of the ninth inning. A RBI triple by Hilliard started a stretch of four consecutive hits with one out, including a RBI single by Brian Mundell, cutting the lead to 12-9. The Isotopes had the bases loaded with one out, but Dodgers reliever Josh Sborz regrouped and struck out Butera and coaxed a fly out by pinch hitter Noel Cuevas to end the game.
OKC starting pitcher Mitchell White picked up the win. Over five innings, White (2-4) allowed five runs and seven hits, with three walks and three strikeouts.
Albuquerque starting pitcher Kyle Freeland took the loss, after he gave up nine runs and eight hits over 5.2 innings. Freeland (0-2) finished with five walks and five strikeouts.
The Dodgers continue their series in Albuquerque at 7:35 p.m. Central Time Thursday. Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Sounds Commit Four Errors in Loss to Las Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Slugfest Goes to Salt Lake, 13-11 - Memphis Redbirds
- Hiura's Career Night Leads Flying Chanclas to Rout of Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Three-Millionth Fan Expected to Attend Chihuahuas Game this Homestand - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League All-Star Fan Vote Update - PCL
- Winning with Strong Pitching - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs - Fresno Grizzlies
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas' Bats Have Just Enough to Outlast New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Nip 'Cakes 10-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, Lose 9-8 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop First Game of Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers