Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Houston Astros C Max Stassi is joining the Round Rock Express on a major league rehab assignment, the club announced on Thursday afternoon. The backstop is expected to start for the E-Train in Thursday night's contest against the Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate) at 7:05 p.m. at Dell Diamond.
Stassi has been sidelined since May 26 with left knee soreness. The 28-year-old opened the 2019 season with the Astros for the first time in his career, hitting to a .167 average (9-54) with a home run and three RBI in 18 games prior to the injury.
He was named the Houston Astros Rookie of the Year by the BBWAA in 2018 after hitting .226 (50-221) with 13 doubles, eight home runs and 27 RBI across 88 games during his first full professional season. He committed just two errors in 82 games behind the plate for a .997 fielding percentage, the fifth-best single-season mark by a catcher in club history.
The backstop has appeared in 150 major league games across parts of six seasons, all with the Astros. Stassi owns a career .223 batting average (79-354) with 16 doubles, 12 home runs and 41 RBI. The Woodland, California native was originally acquired by Houston along with INF Chris Carter and RHP Brad Peacock in a February 4, 2013 trade with the Oakland Athletics that also sent INF Jed Lowrie and RHP Fernando Rodriguez to the Bay Area.
Stassi tore up the minor leagues en route to Houston, earning All-Star nods with the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies in 2014 and 2017, the Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks in 2013 and the Class A Kane County Cougars in 2010. He was also named an MiLB.com Organizational All-Star in 2013 with Houston and 2012 with Oakland.
He was originally drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the fourth round of the 2009 MLB Draft.
Fans can catch Stassi in action as the Express continue their three-game series against the Aces on Thursday night. Round Rock RHP Rogelio Armenteros (3-4, 5.00) is scheduled to start against Reno RHP Matt Koch (1-2, 7.46). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m. The game can be streamed online via MiLB.tv with a valid subscription while audio from tonight's contest is available from AM 1300 The Zone.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Sounds Commit Four Errors in Loss to Las Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Slugfest Goes to Salt Lake, 13-11 - Memphis Redbirds
- Hiura's Career Night Leads Flying Chanclas to Rout of Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Three-Millionth Fan Expected to Attend Chihuahuas Game this Homestand - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League All-Star Fan Vote Update - PCL
- Winning with Strong Pitching - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs - Fresno Grizzlies
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas' Bats Have Just Enough to Outlast New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Nip 'Cakes 10-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, Lose 9-8 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop First Game of Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker