Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4
Storm Chasers right fielder Brett Phillips homered and drove in two runs while center fielder Bubba Starling extended his hit streak to nine, however Sacramento plated five unanswered runs in the final two innings thanks to two home runs from first baseman Zach Green for a 5-4 come-from-behind victory over Omaha on Wednesday evening at Raley Field.
After 2B Jecksson Flores started the scoring with an RBI triple in the second, Phillips followed with his eighth homer of the year to center, extending the Storm Chasers' lead 3-0. 1B Samir Duenez 's run-scoring double one frame later made it a four-run advantage.
That score remained the same until the seventh, when Green smashed a solo homer to put Sacramento on the board. The River Cats one inning later would pounce with a four-run frame, with Green completing the comeback with his second homer of the evening, a three-run two-out blast, for the club's first and only lead of the contest.
Green (2-2, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB) reached base four times along with his two longballs, while CF Mike Gerber (2-3, R, BB) also tallied two knocks. Flores (2-4, R, 3B, RBI) and Starling (2-4) each recorded two hits in the defeat. Thanks to that multi-hit effort, Starling has posted a hit in all nine of his June contests, batting .457 (16-35) in that span.
Sacramento southpaw Sam Selman (1.0 IP, BB, K) earned the win, while Jandel Gustave (1.0 IP, K) notched his fourth save. Omaha reliever Jake Newberry (0.2 IP, H, R, ER) suffered the defeat, along with a blown save after Kyle Zimmer (2.0 IP, H, BB, 3 K) and Jake Kalish (5.0 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 5 K) combined to yield just three hits over seven innings pitched.
The two teams are set to square off on Thursday evening for the second game of their three-game set, with first pitch scheduled for 9:05pm CT. RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (1-3, 9.46) is slated to toe the rubber for Omaha, while RHP Yoanys Quiala (3-2, 5.23) is anticipated to get the nod for Sacramento.
Following their seven-game West Coast road trip, the Storm Chasers return to Werner Park on Thursday, June 20 to start a four-game homestand versus the San Antonio Missions. First pitch of the series opener is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Sounds Commit Four Errors in Loss to Las Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Slugfest Goes to Salt Lake, 13-11 - Memphis Redbirds
- Hiura's Career Night Leads Flying Chanclas to Rout of Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Three-Millionth Fan Expected to Attend Chihuahuas Game this Homestand - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League All-Star Fan Vote Update - PCL
- Winning with Strong Pitching - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs - Fresno Grizzlies
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas' Bats Have Just Enough to Outlast New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Nip 'Cakes 10-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, Lose 9-8 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop First Game of Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer