Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Walk it off! Round Rock Express (39-26) 3B Nick Tanielu notched a clutch two-out single in the bottom of the ninth inning to fuel a walkoff victory against the Reno Aces (28-37) in their series opener on Wednesday night at Dell Diamond.
Express RHP Ralph Garza (5-1, 5.08) earned the win after holding the Aces hitless and fanning a pair in a 2.1 inning appearance out of the bullpen. On the losing side, LHP Anthony Vasquez (3-4, 5.94) surrendered a run on one hit and two walks.
The Aces struck first as 1B Yasmany Thomas recorded a second inning solo home run. One out later, RF Matt Szczur singled prior to a Wyatt Mathisen two-run blast that extended the visitors' lead to 3-0. The following inning, Reno tacked three more as 2B Domingo Leyba worked a walk followed by a trio of base hits from DH Jake Lamb, Thomas and LF Travis Snyder, two of which led to runs. Szczur then launched a sacrifice fly to center field to plate Thomas before the inning was retired.
Round Rock fired back in the fourth as 1B Taylor Jones worked a walk and raced home from first thanks to a Drew Ferguson double. 3B Nick Tanielu then used an RBI single to plate Ferguson, cutting the deficit to 6-2.
Reno struck right back in the top of the fifth beginning with a Lamb walk. The runner then advanced to second and third on a Thomas walk and Snider base hit. With no outs in the frame, Lamb hustled home on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Mathisen.
The E-Train continued to fight in the home half as SS Alex De Goti notched a leadoff double that eventually scored via a Kyle Tucker single. The next frame, Ferguson and Tanielu teamed up for back-to-back singles. Ferguson then hustled home on an AJ Reed sacrifice fly, then Tanielu followed closely thereafter thanks to an Anibal Sierra RBI double.
The back-and-forth contest continued in the seventh as Thomas, Szczur and Mathison loaded the bases with a trio of singles prior to a John Ryan Murphy a bases loaded walk to force in the Aces eighth run.
The E-Train stunned the Aces as they rallied for a three-run eighth inning to level the score at eight. Jones led off with a single that was matched by Ferguson the next at-bat. Reed then worked a walk to load the bases for Sierra. The hitter ultimately grounded out to third but collected an RBI on the play to bring Round Rock within 8-6. C Jamie Ritchie later cleared the bases with a two-run single to level the score at eight.
With two-outs in the final frame, Jones and Ferguson reached base on consecutive walks. Tanielu played hero as he plated Jones for the game-winning run after smoking a single, securing a 9-8 walk off victory.
Round Rock aims to keep the momentum on their side as they face the Aces in game two on Thursday night. Express RHP Rogelio Armenteros (3-4, 5.00) is scheduled to start while the Aces plan to counter with RHP Matt Koch (1-2, 7.46). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Sounds Commit Four Errors in Loss to Las Vegas - Nashville Sounds
- Slugfest Goes to Salt Lake, 13-11 - Memphis Redbirds
- Hiura's Career Night Leads Flying Chanclas to Rout of Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (26-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-31) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 13, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (28-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-35) - Memphis Redbirds
- Three-Millionth Fan Expected to Attend Chihuahuas Game this Homestand - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Green, 'Cats Down Chasers 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Houston Astros C Max Stassi Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pacific Coast League All-Star Fan Vote Update - PCL
- Winning with Strong Pitching - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies slash seven doubles in 7-6 victory over Cubs - Fresno Grizzlies
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas' Bats Have Just Enough to Outlast New Orleans - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Uses a Big Inning to Edge Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Start Road Trip with Offensive Onslaught - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Nip 'Cakes 10-9 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Come Back in Dramatic 9-8 Walkoff Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Heartbreaker, Lose 9-8 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Drop First Game of Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Family Meal Kits with Curbside Delivery Available to Order
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Offering Family Meal Kits to Community
- 2020 Round Rock Classic Kicks off Friday Night at Dell Diamond
- Kirk Saarloos to be Inducted into Round Rock Express Hall of Fame
- Houston Astros Futures Weekend Returns to Dell Diamond April 4