Fresno Evens Series, Beats Chasers 8-1
Fresno infielders Wilmer Difo , Carter Kieboom and Jake Noll each homered and combined to drive in all eight Grizzlies as starting pitcher Paolo Espino tossed a quality start in an 8-1 victory over the Omaha Storm Chasers on Sunday evening at Chukchansi Park.
Difo went deep with a two-run shot in the first as part of a three-run first frame. Kieboom would then bash a three-run homer in the very next frame to increase the early advantage to six. Omaha 3B Kelvin Gutierrez ended Fresno's shutout hopes with a two-out RBI single to cut the deficit to five, however, Noll blasted his two-run homer in the eighth to cap the scoring.
Grizzlies LF Yadiel Hernandez (3-5, R, 2B) recorded a game-high three knocks, while Difo (2-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI), CF Andrew Stevenson (2-5, 2 R) and 2B Matt Reynolds (2-3, 2B, BB) each posted multi-hit efforts as well. Storm Chasers SS Jecksson Flores (2-2, R) tallied two of his club's five knocks. Gutierrez's RBI hit extended his on-base streak with Omaha to 25, and has tallied a knock in all but six of those matchups. Flores, meanwhile, upped his hit streak to ten contests.
Espino (6.0 IP, 3 H, R, ER, BB, 5 K) earned his seventh win of the year with a quality outing, yielding a lone earned run on just three hits in six innings pitched. Fresno relievers James Bourque (1.0 IP, K), Michael Blazek (1.0 IP, 2 H) and Derek Self (1.0 IP, BB) joined forces for the final three scoreless frames. Storm Chasers starter Scott Blewett (3.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 2 K) suffered the defeat.
With the series even, Fresno and Omaha are set to continue their four-game set on Monday night, with first pitch scheduled for 9:05pm CT. RHP Josh Staumont (0-3, 2.34) is set to start for the Storm Chasers, with RHP Joe Ross (1-0, 3.75) anticipated to get the nod for the Grizzlies.
Following their seven-game West Coast road trip, the Storm Chasers return to Werner Park on Thursday, June 20 to start a four-game homestand versus the San Antonio Missions. First pitch of the series opener is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online atwww.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 17, 2019
- Andreoli Wallops Two Home Runs as Rainiers Snap Losing Streak in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Texas Remains Unpleasant for Aces - Reno Aces
- POSTGAME NOTES: Freeland Sharp as Isotopes Rally Falls Short - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds and Bees Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats' Dave Brundage to Lead PCL Field Staff for 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-41) vs. Salt Lake Bees (31-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Pat Rice Named to Triple-A All-Star Staff - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (29-41) vs Las Vegas Aviators (38-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Field Staffs Announced for 2019 RMHC Triple-A All-Star Game - PCL
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at SA - Reno Aces
- Pacific Coast League Players of the Week Named for June 10-16 - PCL
- Mills Wins PCL Weekly Honors - Iowa Cubs
- Fresno Evens Series, Beats Chasers 8-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Unleashing a Father's Day Special - San Antonio Missions
- Road Win Streak Runs its Course - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.