Pacific Coast League Players of the Week Named for June 10-16
June 17, 2019 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
ROUND ROCK, Texas - El Paso Chihuahuas INF Ty France and Iowa Cubs RHP Alec Mills have been selected the Pacific Coast League's Player and Pitcher of the Week for the period of June 10-16, the League office announced Monday.
France, who was also selected the PCL Player of the Week for the week of April 15-21, hit .476 with six home runs and nine RBI while scoring 10 runs with 10 hits for the week. The San Diego State product homered in five-consecutive games from June 10 to June 15, including a two-homer game on June 14 vs. New Orleans. France also hit safely in all six games and had a four-hit, three RBI performance on June 12 vs. New Orleans.
On the season, the 24-year-old France is batting .427 with 15 home runs and 42 RBI. During the week, he led or tied for the league lead in runs scored (10, T-1st), total bases (28, T-1st), home runs (6, 1st), slugging percentage (1.333, 1st), OPS (1.910, 1st) and was second in on-base percentage (.577). France has also spent time with the parent club San Diego Padres this season, including making his Major League debut on April 26 against the Washington Nationals.
Mills, who started two games this past week for the I-Cubs, went 1-0 with a 1.42 ERA over 12.2 innings, and also led the league with a 0.87 WHIP in terms of starting pitchers with two or more starts. The University of Tennessee-Martin alum started his week tossing 6.2 innings in a 13-4 win over the Albuquerque Isotopes on June 10. The right-hander surrendered only two earned runs on four hits while walking just one batter and striking out four. On June 16 against the Sacramento River Cats, Mills went six scoreless innings, issuing just three walks while striking out five but did not factor into the decision.
On the season, Mills is 3-2 with a 5.33 ERA in 11 games, 10 starts with 56 strikeouts. This is his second PCL Pitcher of the Week honor in his career (8/5/2018 with Iowa) and fifth overall having won twice in 2015 with the Carolina Mudcats of the High-A Carolina League, and once in the Double-A Texas League in 2016 with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals.
Images from this story
Iowa Cubs RHP Alec Mills
El Paso Chihuahuas INF Ty France
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 17, 2019
- Andreoli Wallops Two Home Runs as Rainiers Snap Losing Streak in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Texas Remains Unpleasant for Aces - Reno Aces
- POSTGAME NOTES: Freeland Sharp as Isotopes Rally Falls Short - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds and Bees Postponed at First Tennessee Park - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats' Dave Brundage to Lead PCL Field Staff for 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-41) vs. Salt Lake Bees (31-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Pat Rice Named to Triple-A All-Star Staff - Salt Lake Bees
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (29-41) vs Las Vegas Aviators (38-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 17, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Field Staffs Announced for 2019 RMHC Triple-A All-Star Game - PCL
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes at SA - Reno Aces
- Pacific Coast League Players of the Week Named for June 10-16 - PCL
- Mills Wins PCL Weekly Honors - Iowa Cubs
- Fresno Evens Series, Beats Chasers 8-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Unleashing a Father's Day Special - San Antonio Missions
- Road Win Streak Runs its Course - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.