Errors Doom Sounds in Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The Nashville Sounds committed four errors and never enjoyed a lead on Friday night, falling 7-2 against the Indianapolis Indians at Victory Field in the middle game of the five-game set. The Sounds' loss, combined with Durham's win at Norfolk, eliminated the Sounds from contention to win the 10-game Final Stretch.
Indianapolis took a 1-0 lead in the first with a run against Alec Bettinger (3-7), but the Sounds answered in the third off James Marvel. With two outs and the bases empty, Matt Lipka homered down the left field line, his ninth home run of the year, to tie it 1-1. The Indians scored three runs in the bottom half and never looked back. Only one run was earned against Bettinger, and it could have been a scoreless inning if not for two errors. Bettinger worked a perfect fourth inning before departing. He allowed four runs - two earned - on four hits over four innings in his final start of the season.
The Sounds' answered with one run in the fourth against Marvel. David Fry belted a two-out triple off the left field wall, and Zach Green singled him home to cut it to 4-2. The Sounds never scored again, and Indianapolis scored two runs off Peter Strzelecki and one against R.J. Alvarez for the 7-2 final. Marvel (7-7) went eight innings in the win.
The five-game series continues Saturday night at 6:05 CT. Right-hander Victor Castaneda (1-1, 0.96) is scheduled to start for the Sounds (69-58), and right-hander Osvaldo Bido (0-0, 11.57) will start for Indianapolis (61-66).
David Dahl snapped a six-game hitting streak, during which he batted .500 (9-for-18).
The Sounds committed a season-high four errors for the fourth time and first since 7/24 at Jacksonville.
Zach Green's RBI was his team-high 64th of the year in 100 games played.
Matt Lipka's homer was the Sounds' 7th in the Final Stretch...they're up to a $350 donation on behalf of Nashville RBI as part of "Homers That Help."
Mario Feliciano went 1-for-3 and his hitting .316 (12-for-38) in his last 11 games.
The Nashville Sounds are the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers and play at First Horizon Park. Single-game tickets are on sale now for all remaining 2021 home games. For more information call 615-690-4487 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from October 1, 2021
- Bisons Win Seventh-Straight, Defeating Mets 12-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Defensive Miscues Plague Jacksonville in 7-2 Loss to Gwinnett - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene and Rodriguez Homer in Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs drop seventh straight game - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Extra Innings Doesn't Go Tides Way in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Marvelous Gem Stuns Sounds - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Pull Away from Mets for 12-1 Buffalo Win on Friday Night at NBT Bank Stadium - Syracuse Mets
- Saints Officially Eliminated from Final Stretch with 8-2 Loss to Mud Hens - St. Paul Saints
- Errors Doom Sounds in Indianapolis - Nashville Sounds
- Bulls Earn Tenth Straight Win, Inch Closer to Final Stretch Title with 2-1 Victory - Durham Bulls
- Mariot, Crook Combine for Solid Effort as Bats Fall Short at Clips - Louisville Bats
- Knights & Redbirds Cancelled on Friday - Charlotte Knights
- RailRiders Roll past Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Lose 10-3 Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Friday's Redbirds Game Cancelled Due to Field Conditions - Memphis Redbirds
- October 1 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-66) vs. Nashville Sounds (69-57) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: October 1, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Indianapolis Announces 2021 Team Award Recipients - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - October 1, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Erin (O'Donnell) McCormick Named Gwinnett Stripers Vice President and General Manager - Gwinnett Stripers
- Nashville Sounds Hire Adam English as General Manager and Chief Operating Officer - Nashville Sounds
- Late Rally stalled in 9th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds' 2021 Holiday Bundle on Sale Now
- Nashville Sounds Announce Game Times for 2022 Home Schedule
- Bacon Eggs & Kegs Event at First Horizon Park Postponed
- Luke Barker Named to Triple-A East All-Star Team
- Pablo Reyes' Grand Slam Leads Sounds over Indians