Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory
Sioux City, Iowa - The Dogs won when trailing after eight innings for the first time in franchise history Thursday night, defeating the Sioux City Explorers 2-1 in ten innings.
Chicago entered the ninth inning Thursday trailing for the 35th time this season. Sioux City led the game 1-0, but the first three Dogs hitters in the inning reached base to tie the score at 1-1 and send the game to extra innings.
Before the Chicago comeback the Dogs received a strong start from Jared Carkuff. The right-hander pitched seven and one-third innings in his fourth career professional start, allowing one earned run on seven hits and receiving a no-decision.
Sioux City scored in the bottom of the sixth inning on a Dean Green sacrifice fly. X's starter Ian McKinney pitched six scoreless innings, before turning the game over to the Sioux City bullpen.
After Luis Mateo and Parker Markel pitched scoreless seventh and eighth innings respectively, X's closer Eric Karch was tasked with the ninth. Edwin Arroyo led the inning off with a walk for Chicago. After a Rubi Silva double, Treysen Vavra scored Arroyo from third with an RBI single. The Dogs failed to score again in the inning, pushing the game to extras.
After Chicago loaded the bases in the top of the tenth inning, Rubi Silva dragged a bunt single with two outs to score Matt Dean from third and push Chicago in front 2-1.
Silva and Dean each collected three hits in the game for Chicago.
Kaohi Downing worked a perfect ninth inning, earning the save for Chicago, his 12th of the year, and first since July 4. Taylor Grover stranded the bases loaded in the eighth inning and stranded the potential winning run at third base in the bottom of the ninth. Grover earned the win for Chicago, his first of the year.
The victory, which was the second extra-inning win for Chicago this year, pushes their season record to 34-47. The Dogs are now 13-18 in one-run games. The loss drops Sioux City to 60-22 on the year.
Chicago next heads to Wichita for their first ever series at historic Lawrence Dumont Stadium beginning Friday night against the Wingnuts.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Chicago Dogs Announce 2020 Season Schedule
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars