American Association Game Recaps
August 17, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Kansas City 9, Fargo-Moorhead 8 (10 Innings) - Box Score
The Kansas City T-Bones' 1B Noah Perio Jr. homered twice in the game, including the walk-off blast in the bottom of the 10th that gave his team a 9-8 win against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks.
The T-Bones were trailing by three heading into the bottom of the eighth inning but Perio Jr. hit his first home run to pull the team within two runs. DH Alay Lago (2-for-3) tied the game three batters later with a double that plated both C Adrian Nieto (2-for-4) and LF Keith Curcio (2-for-4). The score remained tied at 8-8 until Perio Jr. hit a lead-off home run in the 10th the end the game.
For the RedHawks, C Charlie Valerio went 3-for-5 and LF Brennan Metzger went 2-for-6 with an RBI and a run scored.
Chicago 2, Sioux City 1 (10 Innings) - Box Score
The Chicago Dogs scored in the ninth to tie the game and then scored again in the 10th to slide past the Sioux City Explorers 2-1.
The Explorers took the lead in the bottom of the sixth when SS Nate Samson (2-for-4) came home on a sac fly from DH Dean Green. That lead held until the top of the ninth when 1B Trey Vavra singled home 2B Edwin Arroyo to force extras.
In the 10th, RF Rubi Silva (3-for-5) hit a two-out single that plated 3B Matt Dean (3-for-4) for the go-ahead run. Reliever Kaohi Downing came on in the bottom of the frame to pitch and sat the Explorers down in order to seal the win.
Texas 4, Cleburne 3 - Box Score
The Texas AirHogs pulled off a late rally to top the Cleburne Railraoders 4-3.
The Cleburne Railroaders were leading 3-1 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning but the AirHogs pulled within one when 2B Liang Pei scored on SS Casio Grider's fielder's choice. The AirHogs took the lead in the next inning as C Jesse Baker scored on an error and then Grider bounced into another fielder's choice that allowed Pei to score again.
For the Railroaders, 2B Trevor Sealey went 2-for-5 and 1B Angelo Gumbs went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Wichita 9, Lincoln 8 - Box Score
The Wichita Wingnuts edged the Lincoln Saltdogs 9-8 thanks to a late home run from LF Tony Thomas.
The game was tied at 8-8 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning but Thomas hit a lead-off home run, his 20th of the year, to give the Wingnuts the lead. Thomas went 2-for-4 in the game and was one of eight batters to record a hit on the night. C John Nester also had a multi-hit game as he went 4-for-4 with three RBIs including his seventh homer of the year.
For the Saltdogs, 2B Cesar Valera and C Daniel Herrera each had three hits and LF Brandon Jacobs went 2-for-5 with a grand slam for his 19th home run of 2018.
St. Paul 8, Sioux Falls 4 - Box Score
The St. Paul Saints rattled off five runs in the bottom of the eighth - including a grand slam - to top the Sioux Falls Canaries 8-4.
The Canaries took the lead in the top of the eighth when SS Jordan Dean hit a lead-off home run. But the Saints took control of the game in the bottom of the inning. SS Joey Wong scored to tie the game on a one-out single from RF Max Murphy. After CF Kyle Barrett singled and DH Burt Reynolds struck out, 1B Brady Shoemaker was intentionally walked to load the bases.
2B Zach Walters (2-for-5) took advantage and belted a grand slam that gave his team the four-run lead. The blast was Walters' 10th of the year and he was one of four Saints to leave the yard in the game. Reynolds (17), C Justin O'Conner (11) and 3B Dante Bichette Jr. (6) homered as well.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City Monarchs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City Monarchs
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.