X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras
Sioux City, IA - In the finale of a nine game home stand the Chicago Dogs spoiled the goodbye for the Explorers with the come from behind 2-1 victory in extra innings.
In what was a pitchers duel for much of the game the Explorers got another fantastic start from their starter on the mound. This time it was Ian McKinney's turn as he went 6 shut out innings for the X's scattering 4 hits, and picking up 5 strike outs.
McKinney wouldn't get much run support though as on the other side Jared Carkuff making his fourth start of the year for the Dogs went 7.1 innings, allowed 1 run on 7 hits and struck out 4.
The X's had their chances in the game to open up a lead but never could. They twice loaded the bases with only one out in the inning but could not push a run across and would leave the bases loaded. With that happening once in the fifth and once in the eighth.
Sioux City would get their lone run of the ball game in the sixth inning as Nate Samson reached on a one out single. He would steal second and a wild pitch would move him to third before Dean Green brought him home with a sacrifice fly to center field giving the X's a 1-0 lead.
They would take that lead to the ninth but Chicago would mount their comeback against Explorers closer Eric Karch. Edwin Arroyo lead off with a walk followed by a Rubi Silva single with an error tacked on leaving runners at second and third and no one out. Trey Vavra then tied the game with a single to left. Karch would pick up a strikeout and then get the following batter to ground into an inning ending double play to send the game to the bottom of the ninth tied 1-1.
Once again in the ninth the Explorers had a chance to win the ball game. Blake Schmit lead off with an infield single. He would steal second and make his way to third base with two outs but Sioux City would leave him at third as the walk off run and send the game to extra innings.
In the tenth Chicago got a one out double from Matt Dean, it was his third hit of the night. They then got a two out infield single from Kenny Wilson and a walk from Arroyo against Keith Picht to load the bases with two outs. Silva would then lay down a push bunt up the first base line and would dive in head first avoiding the tag of the first baseman to bring home the go ahead run for Chicago.
In the bottom half of the frame the X's would go down in order and Chicago came away with the extra innings victory.
It was the first time that Chicago was able to win a game after trailing at the end of eight innings and the first time Sioux City lost a ball game that went to extra innings.
The Explorers finish the nine game home stand with a 4-5 record and will now head north to Winnipeg and Fargo for a six game road trip. Game one of the road trip will be against the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Friday night at 7:00.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.