T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The T-Bones (51-31) went into Thursday's match-up against Fargo-Moorhead (45-37) trying to end a three-game losing streak and avoid the brooms of the RedHawks in the final game of the three-game series. It was a back-and-forth ball game all night long. The T-Bones led, trailed, led, trailed, then tied to take it into extra innings. Noah Perio Jr. was the hero of the evening with two home runs, one of which allowed for a walk-off win in the bottom of the 10th with a final score of 9-8 Kansas City.
In the T-Bones half of the first, lead-off batter Ryan Brett hit a center-field single off RedHawks starter Brandon Barker (2-4, 4.43). Colin Walsh, for his 20th RBI since being signed July 13th, dropped a well-hit ball into right field to score Brett and put the T-Bones up 1-0.
KC held the modest lead until the top of the third when Devan Ahart slapped a ground ball down the middle that brought home Yhoxian Medina, who had doubled to left field. Then the go-ahead run came home when Chris Jacobs hit a ground ball sharply to third to score Brennan Metzger. That would be the last play before the game was delayed roughly 40 minutes because of rain.
The RedHawks added to their lead in the fourth, but barely. With runners at the corners and one out, Tim Colwell hit the ball to first for the second out, but Charlie Valerio scored from third while the T-Bones chased down the runner between first and second for the third out. With that run that squeaked in, the RedHawks went up 3-1.
Despite five strikeouts to this point of the game, Tommy Collier (9-3, 3.15) sent back-to-back batters to the bases with walks to Devan Ahart and Chris Jacobs in the fifth. A double to left field by Leobaldo Pina then brought home Ahart to make it 4-1 Fargo. Collier stayed off any more damage, striking out the last batter of the inning for strikeout number six of the night.
Colin Walsh, for his second RBI of the night, hit the ball into center in the bottom of the sixth. Both the shortstop and center fielder raced for the ball, but it dropped between them and allowed Mason Davis, who had singled and advanced on a passed ball, to score and make it 4-2.
With bases loaded, the RedHawks changed pitchers, but Keith Curcio lined the ball into right, allowing Colin Walsh and Todd Cunningham to score and tie up the game 4-4.
Another pitching change for the RedHawks meant another run for the T-Bones. Alay Lago hit an RBI sac fly to left field, bringing home Adrian Nieto, who had singled earlier. The T-Bones grabbed the lead 5-4.
As quickly as the lead happened, it went away. In the top of the seventh, a three-run home run to right field by Kerry De La Cruz also scored Devan Ahart and Derrick Fox. It was 7-5 RedHawks.
Fargo tacked on another run in the eighth to make it 8-5 RedHawks. Tim Colwell, who had walked and stole a base, scored on an RBI double by Brennan Metzger.
But then the seesaw went back in favor of the T-Bones with another big inning. In the eighth, Noah Perio Jr. slammed a home run over the right field wall to cut into Fargo's lead 8-6.
Adrian Nieto and Keith Curcio continued the T-Bones rally in the eighth, hitting back-to-back singles. Alay Lago once again came up to bat after a pitching change. This time, he hit a double to right field to bring home Nieto and Curcio for his second and third RBIs of the night - and to once again tie the game - now 8-8.
That sent the game into extra innings. The stakes were high, with Kansas City battling to retain their second place standing in the league, which they've kept for 79 consecutive days going into tonight's game.
A one-two-three top of the tenth quickly sent the T-Bones to the plate. Noah Perio Jr. took a ball for the first pitch, then connected with the second pitch, launching it over the fence for his second home run of the game, and the walk-off run.
The spectacular hitting by Perio Jr. gave Kansas City the walk-off win 9-8 over Fargo. Tommy Collier, the starter, got six strikeouts, and leads the American Association at 112 for the season. Cody Winiarski (2-1, 1.84), who worked the 9th and 10th innings, got the win for Kansas City, and reliever Reese Gregory (3-3, 3.43) is charged with the loss for Fargo.
Kansas City begins a three-game series against the Cleburne Railroaders (28-55) Friday night at T-Bones Stadium. Season, group tickets, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at (913) 328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to tbonesbaseball.com and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
Images from this story
Kansas City T-Bones celebrate walk-off home run
(John Ellis / Kansas City T-Bones)
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.