4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls
GARY, Ind. - A four-run bottom of the first and six-innings of two-run ball from Alex Gunn led the 'Cats to a 4-3 series-opening win over the Sioux Falls Canaries on "Breakfast" Club Night at U.S. Steel Yard. Friday's victory was the RailCats third straight and increased Gary's second place lead over Fargo-Moorhead to 2.5 games after the RedHawks fell to the St. Paul Saints, 10-1, earlier on the evening.
Gunn (8-6) snapped his three-game losing and recorded his first quality start of the month after allowing two runs on four hits, walked one and struck out seven over six innings. The southpaw retired 13 of the first 15 hitters he faced and yielded just one hit through the first 4.1 innings.
Robbie Coursel (2) and Myles Smith (7) each recorded holds out of the bullpen. Coursel, a native of Michigan City, Ind., yielded one run on a hit and a walk in 0.2 innings while Smith retired four of the six batters he faced, one via a strikeout, in 1.1 hitless innings of relief. Adam Quintana (9) secured the win with his fourth consecutive save after striking out Jabari Henry with two outs and the bases loaded in the top of the ninth. Quintana allowed one hit, walked a pair and struck out two in his 24th appearance of the year.
Gary (47-35) scored all four of their runs in the first after bringing eight to the plate in the frame and having the first six reach. Alex Crosby, Tillman Pugh and Randy Santiesteban each walked to start the inning, loading the bases for Colin Willis. Willis followed with the fourth consecutive walk off Canaries starter Chad Martin, allowing Crosby to trout home from third for the first run of the game. Willis' bases-loaded walk also increased his career-and-season-high on-base streak to 33 games, tying Wichita's Abel Nieves for the second longest on-base streak in the American Association. John Straka replaced Martin out of the bullpen, allowing back-to-back RBI singles to Ronnie Mitchell and Wilfredo Gimenez before D.K. Carey brought home Willis from third for the final RailCats run of the night after grounding into a double play.
Sioux Falls (34-50) avoided being shutout with two of their three runs in the fifth. Patrick Fiala recorded the Canaries' second hit of the evening with a one-out double down into the left field corner before Maxx Garrett belted a two-run home run to left-center.
The Canaires trimmed the RailCats lead to 4-3 with a two-out run in the seventh. Jordan Smith reached on a fielder's choice before Dan Motl and Mitch Glasser loaded the bases with back-to-back two-out walks. David Bergin then scored Smith with a bases-loaded walk for the final run of the game.
Martin (0-1) was charged with the loss in his second start. Martin, who was activated from the Disabled List before Friday's contest, walked all four batters he faced and had all of them come around to score.
Gary continues their six-game, seven-day homestand on Saturday vs. Sioux Falls at 6:10 p.m. RailCats RHP Keaton Steele (4-4, 2.88) makes his 10th start against Canaries' RHP Jake Esch (7-5, 4.86) in the middle game of the series.
Saturday's game is AmeriCAN Beer Fest, presented by Berey Bros., and Indiana 105 Country Night. Saturday's contest also features Pre-Game Autographs, presented by AccessAbilities, Inc., and Postgame Fireworks, presented by GFS. Explore the depths of true American beer like PBR, Icehouse, Miller Lite, the Keystone Family, and much more during the AmericaCAN Beer Fest. A $15 ticket gets you two domestic canned beers, a slugger meal, and your ticket to the game. Extra canned beer fest beers are also only $2. Join the Mullet Man in front of the gates before the game and grab a seat in the Indiana 105 section. Don't miss out on your chance to meet your favorite RailCats player every Signature Saturday with Pre-Game Autographs, courtesy of AccessAbilities, Inc. And remember to stick around after the game for a special Saturday Fireworks Show, presented by GFS.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season
- Sinibaldi's Stellar Start Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Goldeyes