Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes lost 6-2 to the Sioux City Explorers at Shaw Park on Friday night.
Tied at 2-2 in the top of the fifth, Dexture McCall doubled down the left field line with one out. After Goldeyes' starter Brennan Bernardino retired Luis Durango on a flyball to right, Michael Lang singled to right-centre to drive in McCall with the lead run.
The Explorers extended the lead to 6-2 in the top of the eighth with three two-out runs. Dean Green, Blake Schmit, and Dylan Kelly all came through with two-out, RBI singles.
Sioux City reliever Parker Markel converted a seven-out save, which included five strikeouts. It was Markel's fourth save of the year.
Bernardino (1-1) took the loss despite a quality start. Bernardino allowed three earned runs on eight hits in seven innings, walking one and striking out one. Bernardino has allowed just three earned runs over 13.0 innings in his first two professional starts.
Justin Vernia (10-1) started for Sioux City and earned the win, allowing two earned runs on eight hits in six and one-third. Vernia walked one and struck out one.
The Explorers took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second when Jose Sermo led off with a home run to left. In the top of the third, McCall doubled to right-centre leading off and scored Sioux City's second run on a single up the middle by Durango.
The Goldeyes tied the game in the bottom of the third. Josh Romanski lined a single to left with one out. Two batters later, Tucker Nathans slugged a two-out, two-run homer deep down the right field line.
Rookie outfielder Blake Adams made his professional debut, and collected his first career hit on a sharp groundball up the middle in the bottom of the seventh. Adams also made a spectacular diving catch towards the left field line to rob Kelly of extra bases in the top of the second.
The series continues Saturday evening at 6:05 p.m. Mitchell Lambson goes to the mound for Winnipeg (8-3, 3.39). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park
- Capellan Ties Record as Goldeyes Best RedHawks