Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win
WICHITA, Kan. - Despite blowing leads of 6-0 and 8-2, a leadoff home run from Tony Thomas in the seventh inning gave the Wichita Wingnuts a 9-8 win over the Lincoln Saltdogs on Thursday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Wichita (51-32) surged to an early lead against Lincoln starter Joe Bircher, scoring a run in the first on an RBI double from Angel Reyes and another in the second on a Logan Trowbridge sacrifice fly. The Wingnuts exploded for four tallies in the third, as John Nester singled home a run with two outs and Logan Trowbridge grounded a three-run triple into the right field corner for a 6-0 Wichita lead.
The Saltdogs (40-42) got two runs back against Wichita starter Charlie Gillies in the third, courtesy of RBI singles from Cesar Valera and Daniel Herrera that trimmed the lead to 6-2.
John Nester lined a 2-0 offering from Bircher over the fence in left to reestablish Wichita's six-run cushion in the bottom of the fifth, increasing the lead out to 8-2. But Lincoln pushed across six runs in the next half inning, scoring two on bases-loaded free passes and then tying the game on a grand slam off the bat of Brandon Jacobs.
The Wingnuts recovered, however, as Austin Boyle (2-0) worked a scoreless top of the seventh before Thomas lifted the first offering from Lincoln reliever Jake Hohensee (0-3) over the fence in left for his league-leading 20th home run of the season and a 9-8 lead.
James Campbell got the first two outs in the eighth in his return from injury, but after a two-out walk the Wingnuts called upon closer Daniel Tillman. He struck out Curt Smith to end the inning, then worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his 24th save of the season, the second-most in Wingnuts single-season history.
The Wingnuts welcome the Chicago Dogs to Lawrence-Dumont Stadium for the first time in franchise history on Friday at 7:05. Righty Tyler Kane (5-2, 5.33) starts for Wichita in the opener, while Chicago will counter with lefty Scott Barnes (2-4, 4.44). The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 17, 2018
- Second Consecutive Walk-Off Win in Extra Innings - Kansas City Monarchs
- Birds Comeback Falls Short at RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Stellar Bullpen, Three More Silva Hits Leads Dogs to 5-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- Railroaders Walked off in 11th - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Flex Their Muscles in 10-1 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Win Bullpen Battle in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Dominate AirHogs 8-1 in Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- 4-Run First Guides Gary to 4-3 Victory over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Pull Away Late on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Make Pair of Roster Moves - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Sign Rookie Outfielder Adams - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Come from Behind for Extra-Innings Victory - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Win Seesaw Battle with Walk-Off Home Run in Extra Innings - Kansas City Monarchs
- Saltdogs Drop Slugfest in Wichita - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Late Thomas Homer Lifts Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Drop Finale to Saints After Big Eighth Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Rally Past RailRoaders 4-3 - Texas AirHogs
- Grand Finale: Saints Slam Canaries with Late Comeback, 8-4 - St. Paul Saints
- X's Unable to Cash in on Chances and Fall to Dogs in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.