Dodgers Clip Chasers 10-5
Storm Chasers shortstop Erick Mejia homered and drove in three runs, however Oklahoma City first baseman Connor Joe smashed two longballs as the Dodgers tallied 17 hits in a 10-5 win over Omaha on Monday afternoon at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Joe led off the Oklahoma City order in the bottom of the first with his first big fly. After increasing the advantage to two, Omaha drew the game even with a two-spot in the fourth, highlighted by 1B Cheslor Cuthbert 's RBI double to left. The Dodgers, however, immediately answered back with a five-run frame featuring a pair of two-run homers, including Joe's second homer of the afternoon, to put Oklahoma City ahead 7-2.
Mejia would then mash a three-run blast in the fifth to narrow the deficit to two, yet Omaha was unable to shrink the margin further from that point on. Oklahoma City added single tallies for insurance scores in each of the sixth, seventh and eighth frames.
LF Zach Reks (3-5, 2 R, RBI, BB) posted a game-high three knocks, while seven other Dodgers batters recorded multi-hit efforts, including Joe (2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB). No Storm Chasers hitter accrued more than one knock, though Mejia and 3B Humberto Arteaga each reached base twice.
Oklahoma City lefty Rob Zastryzny (6.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 6 K) earned his first victory, while the bullpen trio of Tony Cingrani (1.0 IP, K), Josh Sborz (1.0 IP, K) and J.T. Chargois (1.0 IP, 2 K) combined for three shutout frames of relief. Omaha southpaw Jake Kalish (5.0 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat.
The Storm Chasers are set to return to Werner Park on Tuesday evening to begin a ten-game homestand, starting with a four-game set versus the Iowa Cubs. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35pm CT. Omaha's starter has not yet been announced, while RHP Colin Rea (4-1, 2.91) is anticipated to start for the Cubs.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Rolling into Round Rock on a Streak - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (16-26) at Round Rock Express (25-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Szczur Cycles, Tomas Homers Four Times in Thrashing of Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Court Continues to Produce, Rainiers Handed Big Defeat in Monday Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Back at Raley Field for Willie Mays Bobblehead Giveaway and More - Sacramento River Cats
- Las Vegas Ballpark Proving to be Big Hit with Fans - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Clip Chasers 10-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Outrun Storm Chasers for First Series Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Complete Sweep of Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Baby Cakes Take Series from I-Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Blanked 4-0 at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- San Antonio's Aaron Wilkerson Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Taking over First Place in the Division - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-22) at San Antonio Missions (26-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- Grizz Drop Both Games of DH to Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Slater powers River Cats to doubleheader sweep - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.