I-Cubs Lose Series Finale
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (26-18) fell to the New Orleans Baby Cakes (23-21) 5-2 in the series finale of their six-game set on Monday. New Orleans took the series 4-2, with Iowa securing a victory in both twin bills.
The I-Cubs fell into an early 3-0 hole after a pair of singles and a groundout plated three for New Orleans. With starter Duane Underwood Jr.'s pitch count rising, manager Marty Pevey went to the outfield to get out of the inning. Underwood Jr. moved to left field and centerfielder Jacob Hannemann took the mound for the I-Cubs. He struck out the only batter he faced, Isaac Galloway, to end the inning. Underwood Jr. returned to the bump in the second frame.
Iowa responded in its half of the first with a solo shot from Ian Happ to put the score at 3-1. The home run was Happ's first since May 5.
After returning the mound, Underwood Jr. settled in. He struck out six over the next 5.0 innings, allowing just three baserunners. He ended the day with three runs, one earned, on four hits through 5.2 innings.
New Orleans hit its ninth and 10th home runs of the series with back-to-back blasts from Isaac Galloway and Gabriel Guererro off Tim Collins in the seventh, extending the lead to 5-1. The lefty had allowed just one run in 10.0 innings this season entering the game.
Iowa got a run back in the ninth when Jim Adduci came around to score on a wild pitch from Mike Kickham, but the I-Cubs ultimately lost the game 5-2.
Jacob Hannemann is the first I-Cub position player to pitch since Chris Gimenez on July 25, 2018 at Fresno.
Iowa was held to two or fewer runs for the 11th time in 2019.
Duane Underwood Jr. pitched 5.0 or more innings for the fourth time in his last five starts. He had one such start in his first four outings of the year.
Iowa is 11-14 at Principal Park.
Iowa begins a 12-game road trip in Omaha tomorrow. Follow the action on TuneIn Radio, www.iowacubs.com or MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Rolling into Round Rock on a Streak - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (16-26) at Round Rock Express (25-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Szczur Cycles, Tomas Homers Four Times in Thrashing of Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Court Continues to Produce, Rainiers Handed Big Defeat in Monday Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Back at Raley Field for Willie Mays Bobblehead Giveaway and More - Sacramento River Cats
- Las Vegas Ballpark Proving to be Big Hit with Fans - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Clip Chasers 10-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Lose Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Outrun Storm Chasers for First Series Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Complete Sweep of Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Baby Cakes Take Series from I-Cubs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Blanked 4-0 at San Antonio - Memphis Redbirds
- San Antonio's Aaron Wilkerson Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Taking over First Place in the Division - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 20, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-22) at San Antonio Missions (26-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- Grizz Drop Both Games of DH to Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Slater powers River Cats to doubleheader sweep - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.