Devils Build 2-0 Lead, Lose to Sound Tigers 7-3
BRIDGEPORT - After building a 2-0 lead in the first period, the Binghamton Devils surrendered seven goals in a row in a 7-3 road loss to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Wednesday morning in front of 7,808 at Webster Bank Arena.
The Devils built a 2-0 lead in the first period courtesy of Nick Lappin's seventh of the year and John Quenneville's first of the season. Colton White sent a shot through traffic on the power play that Lappin deflected by goaltender Jeremy Smith for the 1-0 lead. White and Pavel Zacha collected assists on the goal 9:47 into the game.
Quenneville's goal came shorthanded after forcing a turnover on a Sound Tigers breakout attempt. Quenneville beat Smith after getting the pass from Blake Pietila for the shorthanded goal at 11:32 of the first for a 2-0 lead.
The Sound Tigers answered with three goals in the final 4:04 to take a 3-2 lead. Otto Koivula beat Eddie Lack with the extra skater on the ice on a delayed penalty to get Bridgeport on the board, trailing 2-1, with 4:04 left in the first period. Assists were credited to Sebastian Aho and Jeff Kubiak.
Travis St. Denis tied the game at two on the power play with only 0:52 left in the first frame. Steve Bernier fed St. Denis in the right wing circle and his one timer beat Lack on the glove side. Josh Ho-Sang also helped set up St. Denis' fourth of the year to even the game, 2-2.
Kubiak got in on the scoring with only 0:32 left in the first. Koivula fed Kubiak from below the goal line and the one timer beat Lack from below the hash marks for a 3-2 lead. The goal was Kubiak's first from Koivula and Stephen Gionta. Binghamton trailed 3-2 in goals and 15-6 in shots after one period.
The lone goal of the second period was put in by Chris Bourque on the power play. Off the offensive zone faceoff, Bourque put the shot through traffic and leat Lack on the blocker side for the two-goal lead. The Sound Tigers took that two-goal advantage into the third period along with a 29-13 shot advantage.
In the third period, Kieffer Bellows, St. Denis, and Michael Dal Colle each scored to give the Sound Tigers a 7-2 lead. After the seventh goal, Mackenzie Blackwood replaced Eddie Lack in net. Brandon Gignac made it a 7-3 score as he recorded a third-period goal on his birthday for his second of the year. Bridgeport score seven goal in a row for the 7-3 win. Lack stopped 27 of 33 while Smith stopped 17 of 20 for the win.
The Devils return home Friday and Saturday night. Cash in on another Friday 4-Pack Night with four tickets, four hotdogs, and four sodas for $80. CLICK HERE. Saturday is Military Appreciation Night presented by Lockheed Martin and Stand With Me. All current or veteran military receive FREE tickets. CLICK HERE. Also, the Devils will wear special military jerseys to be auctioned off after the game to benefit the Southern Tier Honor Flight and Stand With Me.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils vs. the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2018
- Bailey, Simpson Each Score Twice in 5-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Amerks in Buffalo - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Fall Short in Wild Wednesday Affair - Utica Comets
- Dr Leo Back with Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Assign Cederholm to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Sign Forward Fejes to PTO, Recall Forward Moynihan - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Give Back Announces Home Stand Initiatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kaapoa's 28 Saves Pace Shutout of IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall to Wolves in School Day Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Canes Recall Bishop and Di Giuseppe from AHL - Charlotte Checkers
- Dallas Recalls Denis Gurianov, Assigns Justin Dowling to Texas - Texas Stars
- Game #11 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Poganski, Kaspick Rejoin Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Detroit Sends Ehn to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Detail Busy November Schedule - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Recall Miska from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shuts out Rockford with a 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Carr Drives into Chicago Wolves History Books - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers score four times on the power play and earn third straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso; Place Dillon Dube on IR - Stockton Heat
- Devils Build 2-0 Lead, Lose to Sound Tigers 7-3 - Binghamton Devils
- The Rocket this Week - Laval Rocket
- Hartford Wolf Pack Community Foundation Issues Grant Funding - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ontario Reign Raise over $24,000 from Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Ontario Reign
- Batherson Staying Calm Despite Hot Start - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Devils in 10:30 a.m. School-Day Game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.