Monsters Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Amerks in Buffalo
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, were defeated by the Rochester Americans on Wednesday night at the KeyBank Center in Buffalo, NY by a final score of 5-2. With the loss, the Monsters dropped to 7-5-1-0 overall this season and with a .577 points percentage, remain alone in second place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Rochester got the scoring started, jumping ahead 2-0 thanks to a pair of even-strength goals from Justin Bailey at 18:11 set-up by Taylor Fedun, and then from Zach Redmond at 19:17 of the frame on an assist from Dalton Smith.
In the middle period, Bailey picked up his second goal of the night at 14:05 courtesy of feeds from Andrew MacWilliam and Alexander Nylander to push the Rochester lead to 3-0. Cleveland's Sonny Milano responded with his first tally of the season just moments later at 14:16 on an assist from Monsters captain Nathan Gerbe, trimming the Americans lead to 3-1.
Two goals from Wayne Simpson in the third and final frame at 10:12 and 13:17 put the game out of reach for Cleveland, 5-1. Gerbe closed the scoring with his second tally of the season, an even-strength marker at 19:28 from Blake Siebenaler to seal Rochester's 5-2 victory.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 34 of 39 shots faced to fall to 3-5-1 on the season, while Americans backstop Scott Wedgewood stopped 24 of the 26 pucks he faced, improving to 6-3-0 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday home clash vs. the Laval Rocket with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
2018-19 Monsters Hockey Club Memberships, providing fans the ability to lock in the lowest ticket prices, the best seat locations to each game, custom member benefits and an exclusive Monsters jersey, are now available! Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting ClevelandMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000 or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters center Alex Broadhurst vs. the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2018
- Bailey, Simpson Each Score Twice in 5-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Amerks in Buffalo - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Fall Short in Wild Wednesday Affair - Utica Comets
- Dr Leo Back with Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Assign Cederholm to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Sign Forward Fejes to PTO, Recall Forward Moynihan - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Give Back Announces Home Stand Initiatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kaapoa's 28 Saves Pace Shutout of IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall to Wolves in School Day Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Canes Recall Bishop and Di Giuseppe from AHL - Charlotte Checkers
- Dallas Recalls Denis Gurianov, Assigns Justin Dowling to Texas - Texas Stars
- Game #11 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Poganski, Kaspick Rejoin Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Detroit Sends Ehn to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Detail Busy November Schedule - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Recall Miska from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shuts out Rockford with a 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Carr Drives into Chicago Wolves History Books - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers score four times on the power play and earn third straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso; Place Dillon Dube on IR - Stockton Heat
- Devils Build 2-0 Lead, Lose to Sound Tigers 7-3 - Binghamton Devils
- The Rocket this Week - Laval Rocket
- Hartford Wolf Pack Community Foundation Issues Grant Funding - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ontario Reign Raise over $24,000 from Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Ontario Reign
- Batherson Staying Calm Despite Hot Start - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Devils in 10:30 a.m. School-Day Game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1
- Cleveland Monsters and Ohio CAT to Host Coast Guard Hockey Game Saturday Afternoon at the Q