Kaapoa's 28 Saves Pace Shutout of IceHogs
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Kaapo Kahkonen made 28 saves, Sam Anas scored at 17:17 into the first period and the Iowa Wild blanked the Rockford IceHogs 3-0 in front of a season-high crowd of 5,280 Wednesday morning at the BMO Harris Bank Center.
AHL rookie Kahkonen turned aside each of the 28 shots faced, including 11 during the third period, to pick up his first shutout in North American professional hockey. The netminder has now made two of his first three AHL starts against the IceHogs and combined to turn aside 57 of 58 pucks over those two victories.
Kahkonen was bolstered by Iowa's defense and penalty-kill unit, which successfully killed off each of Rockford's five power-play opportunities as part of the shutout. Conversely, Anas converted on Iowa's second power-play opportunity of the game for what proved to be the game-winning tally.
Anas buried a cross-crease feed from Cal O'Reilly to beat Collin Delia glove-side for the opening marker of the game. The tally was Anas' first goal of the season, and bolstered O'Reilly's scoring total to a team-high four points (1g, 3a) in three games against Rockford this year.
Matt Read potted an insurance goal for the Wild in the second period and O'Reilly netted an empty-netter to ice Iowa's win.
The shutout was just Rockford's second loss in regulation over its last 11 contests.
Next Home Game: Friday, Nov. 23 vs. Chicago Wolves | 7 p.m.
The IceHogs will host the Chicago Wolves for the team's first-ever Hockey Fights Cancer night. The first 1,500 fans through the door will receive a FREE IceHogs LED fan, courtesy of SwedishAmerican. Proceeds from the postgame auction will benefit SwedishAmerican Foundation.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2018
- Bailey, Simpson Each Score Twice in 5-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Come up Short in 5-2 Loss to Amerks in Buffalo - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Fall Short in Wild Wednesday Affair - Utica Comets
- Dr Leo Back with Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Assign Cederholm to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Sign Forward Fejes to PTO, Recall Forward Moynihan - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Give Back Announces Home Stand Initiatives - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kaapoa's 28 Saves Pace Shutout of IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall to Wolves in School Day Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Canes Recall Bishop and Di Giuseppe from AHL - Charlotte Checkers
- Dallas Recalls Denis Gurianov, Assigns Justin Dowling to Texas - Texas Stars
- Game #11 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Poganski, Kaspick Rejoin Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Detroit Sends Ehn to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Detail Busy November Schedule - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Recall Miska from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Shuts out Rockford with a 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Carr Drives into Chicago Wolves History Books - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers score four times on the power play and earn third straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Flames Recall Anthony Peluso; Place Dillon Dube on IR - Stockton Heat
- Devils Build 2-0 Lead, Lose to Sound Tigers 7-3 - Binghamton Devils
- The Rocket this Week - Laval Rocket
- Hartford Wolf Pack Community Foundation Issues Grant Funding - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ontario Reign Raise over $24,000 from Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Ontario Reign
- Batherson Staying Calm Despite Hot Start - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Devils in 10:30 a.m. School-Day Game - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign Hobey Baker Finalist and Two-Time Big-10 Champion Cale Morris for 2020-21 Season
- IceHogs Defenseman of the Year Cody Franson Returns to Club for Upcoming Season
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E