Curve Blanked by Baysox Despite Bolton's Gem
BOWIE, Md. - Cody Bolton pitched six shutout innings for the Altoona Curve but the Bowie Baysox pushed one run across after he departed to take the series opener at Prince George's Stadium, 1-0, on Thursday.
The Baysox (51-44, 21-6) were held to three hits, all doubles. Ryan McKenna greeted Joel Cesar (Loss, 2-3) pitch in relief for the Curve (50-43, 15-11) with a two-bagger into the left field corner and scored two hitters later on the game's lone run-scoring play, a double down the left field line by Carlos Perez. Cesar walked Yusniel Diaz but he ran himself into an out on the double by Perez when he rounded third base too far and was caught in a rundown. Cesar went on to retire his final five hitters.
Botlon's six-inning effort was the longest of his four Double-A starts and the first time he navigated through a half-dozen since May 30 for A-Adv. Bradenton. He retired his first seven hitters before Ryan Ripken doubled to right-center and T.J. Nichting worked a walk. Bolton's last 11 hitters went down in order which started with his lone strikeout of the game to Mason McCoy. Bolton pitched well to contact, inducing an even split of eight outs in the air and eight more on the ground.
Dean Kremer (Win, 6-4) matched Bolton inning-for-inning and sent the game scoreless into the seventh inning stretch. Kremer, pitching on the one-year anniversary of his acquisition by Baltimore in the Manny Machado trade, whiffed eight Curve hitters to work around six singles and one walk.
Jay Flaa (Save, 1) locked down the final six outs for Bowie with six strikeouts.
The Curve totaled seven hits and had three runners reach second base, two with one out, and could not come through with the clutch hit.
Jared Oliva and Mitchell Tolman each went 2-for-4 to lead the offense.
The shutout defeat was the ninth of the year for the Curve, who played in their sixth 1-0 game of the campaign. It was the first 1-0 final score at Prince George's Stadium since June 23, 2013 when the Baysox edged out Altoona by the same score.
The Curve will be in Altoona for a week when they return on Monday to play the Erie SeaWolves and Richmond Flying Squirrels in a pair of four-game series. Promotional highlights include three firework displays, two giveaways and two appearances for the Allegheny Yinzers. For tickets or more information about upcoming promotions, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Curve Blanked by Baysox Despite Bolton's Gem - Altoona Curve
- Dennis Leads Yard Goats to Victory in Trenton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Thunder Thumped by Goats Thursday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Krizan's Big Night Leads Ponies to Win over Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Watkins Twirls Near No-Hitter as 'Wolves Win Fifth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Shut Down Curve, 1-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Reyes Fires Seven Scoreless in a 4-0 Win at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Blanked by Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Ponies Trample RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins vs Fisher Cats Postponed on Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Fightins Host Doubleheader vs. Binghamton on July 23 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Announce Wild West Night for August 5 - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrel - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 18th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (July 18-21) - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #94 Rumble Ponies (12-16) at Akron RubberDucks (8-19) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Red Sox 2018 World Series Trophy Coming to Hadlock Field on July 23rd - Portland Sea Dogs
- Philadelphia and New York Police Departments Meet to Play Baseball at ARM & HAMMER Park on Saturday, August 3 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Score Two in Eighth in Comeback Win over Thunder - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.