Curve Score Two in Eighth in Comeback Win over Thunder
CURVE, Pa. - The Altoona Curve rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning and earned a 6-5 comeback win over the Trenton Thunder in the finale of a three-game series on Wednesday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
The Curve (50-42, 15-10) left the bases loaded in the seventh inning trailing 5-4 and entered the eighth inning still down by one run. Thunder (50-42, 12-15) reliever James Reeves (Loss, 3-2) came back out for the eighth after 2.2 scoreless innings of work and immediately ran into trouble. Jared Oliva led off the frame with a triple to left-center followed by a game-tying, RBI single to left from Logan Hill. Three batters later, Jerrick Suiter plated the go-ahead run with an RBI, fielder's choice grounder off Brooks Kriske, but the run was charged to Reeves, and the Curve gained a 6-5 lead.
Matt Eckelman (Save, 18) worked around a two-out walk and stranded the tying run at second base to preserve the one-run lead in a scoreless ninth inning. Eckleman is now tied for second on the Curve's all-time saves list with 29. Angel German (Win, 3-3), who took over with the Curve trailing 5-4 in the eighth, retired the Thunder in order in his only inning of work.
The Curve scored four of their six runs in the first three innings, with Hill and Oliva responsible for most of the damage. Hill went 2-for-3 with his second four-RBI game of the season; he drove in two runs with a two-out double in the third and also delivered a sacrifice fly in the first. Oliva went 2-for-3 with two triples, a walk and scored three runs. Robbie Glendinning added a game-high three hits and went 3-for-4.
Brandon Waddell started for the Curve and allowed five runs on eight hits and three walks in 5.1 innings. He surrendered just one run over his first five innings before the Thunder tacked on two in the sixth to chase him from the game. Jesus Liranzo inherited two runners and gave up a two-run single to Matt Lipka that gave the Thunder a 5-4 lead. Waddell struck a season-high eight batters in the no-decision.
Thunder starter Adonis Rosa gave up four runs on three hits with five strikeouts and three walks in 4.1 innings. He struck out the final four batters he faced but left the game with the Curve ahead, 4-0.
The Curve head to Bowie on Thursday to start a four-game series with the Baysox at 7:05 p.m. Altoona will go with right-hander Cody Bolton (0-1, 7.53) while Bowie will counter with right-hander Dean Kremer (5-4, 3.76).
The Curve return home to PNG Field on Monday, July 23 at 6:30 p.m. against the Erie SeaWolves. Monday's game is the start of an eight-day, seven-game homestand and gates will open for fans at 5:30 p.m. Monday is Mother-Son Night at the ballpark, featuring two diamond club tickets, two Dilly Bars and pregame catch on the field for $20, presented by Dairy Queen. It's also Mitsubishi Monday as fans can pick up FREE grandstand tickets at Five Star Mitsubishi for Monday's game, presented by Five Star Mitsubishi of Altoona.
For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on non-gamedays and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Curve Blanked by Baysox Despite Bolton's Gem - Altoona Curve
- Dennis Leads Yard Goats to Victory in Trenton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Thunder Thumped by Goats Thursday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Krizan's Big Night Leads Ponies to Win over Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Watkins Twirls Near No-Hitter as 'Wolves Win Fifth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Shut Down Curve, 1-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Reyes Fires Seven Scoreless in a 4-0 Win at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Blanked by Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Ponies Trample RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins vs Fisher Cats Postponed on Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Fightins Host Doubleheader vs. Binghamton on July 23 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Announce Wild West Night for August 5 - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrel - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 18th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (July 18-21) - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #94 Rumble Ponies (12-16) at Akron RubberDucks (8-19) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Red Sox 2018 World Series Trophy Coming to Hadlock Field on July 23rd - Portland Sea Dogs
- Philadelphia and New York Police Departments Meet to Play Baseball at ARM & HAMMER Park on Saturday, August 3 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Score Two in Eighth in Comeback Win over Thunder - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.