Thunder Thumped by Goats Thursday Night
A first-inning RBI-triple by Kyle Holder produced the only run Thursday night for the Thunder, who fell to the Hartford Yard Goats, 9-1, in front of a crowd of 5,628 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Holder's triple followed a leadoff single by Hoy Jun Park off Hartford starter Matt Dennis (1-1), who recovered to retire the next three batters and held the Thunder (12-16, 50-43) scoreless over his final six innings of work. The right-hander finished with five strikeouts and walked none across seven frames, scattering six hits and highlighting his performance with a stretch of 11 consecutive Thunder batters retired between the third and seventh innings.
After the Thunder had carried a 1-0 lead through three innings, the Yard Goats (13-14, 50-44) rallied for four runs in the fourth off Rony Garcia (2-8). Vance Vizcaino hit a one-out single and stole second before scoring the tying run on a double by Alan Trejo, and after a walk, Arvicent Perez laced a go-ahead RBI-single to center. Nelson Molina followed with a groundball off the glove of a diving Thunder first baseman Brandon Wagner, allowing two runs to score and extending the Hartford advantage to 4-1.
Hartford added two more runs in the seventh and three in the ninth off relievers Trevor Lane and Andrew Bellatti, respectively, as each player in the Yard Goats lineup recorded at least one hit. The Thunder, meanwhile, managed just four hits over their final eight innings, leaving six runners stranded and going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
Matt Lipka went 1-for-3 with a single in his final at-bat in the seventh inning to extend his season-high hitting streak to nine games, and Holder extended his hit streak to a season-high eight games with his first-inning triple.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Friday evening at 7 p.m. against the Yard Goats. RHP Brian Keller (1-0, 2.78) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Heath Holder (5-2, 2.37) will go for Hartford. The first 1,500 fans ages 14 and up will receive a Justus Sheffield bobblehead, presented by Case's Pork Roll. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Curve Blanked by Baysox Despite Bolton's Gem - Altoona Curve
- Dennis Leads Yard Goats to Victory in Trenton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Thunder Thumped by Goats Thursday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Krizan's Big Night Leads Ponies to Win over Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Watkins Twirls Near No-Hitter as 'Wolves Win Fifth Straight - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Shut Down Curve, 1-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Reyes Fires Seven Scoreless in a 4-0 Win at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Blanked by Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Ponies Trample RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightins vs Fisher Cats Postponed on Thursday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Fightins Host Doubleheader vs. Binghamton on July 23 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Announce Wild West Night for August 5 - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrel - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 18th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (July 18-21) - Akron RubberDucks
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #94 Rumble Ponies (12-16) at Akron RubberDucks (8-19) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Red Sox 2018 World Series Trophy Coming to Hadlock Field on July 23rd - Portland Sea Dogs
- Philadelphia and New York Police Departments Meet to Play Baseball at ARM & HAMMER Park on Saturday, August 3 - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Score Two in Eighth in Comeback Win over Thunder - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Thunder Welcome Next Generation of Bat Dog Tradition
- Thunder Extend Partnership with Flagship Radio Station Through 2022 Season
- White Claw Riverview Dugout Seats on Sale Now for 2020 Season
- Yankees Set 2020 Thunder Coaching Staff
- El Trueno de Trenton Return for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park