Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton
GENEVA, IL - Two leads by the Clinton LumberKings could not be held on to as they fell to the Kane County Cougars 8-4 on Monday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. Davis Bradshaw went 3-for-3 for the LumberKings (33-23, 66-59) with a run scored and two RBIs but could not overcome consistent offense by the Cougars (35-21, 70-55).
Kane County started the scoring with a first inning run against LumberKings starter Remey Reed. The rally came with two out when Tra Holmes doubled to center field and scored on a Zack Shannon RBI single to right.
Clinton responded by taking their first lead of the night in the top of the second inning. With two out in the inning, Thomas Jones walked and Bradshaw singled to set the table for a pair of wild pitches that brought home both runs and gave Clinton a 2-1 lead.
Reed (3-2), who was hung with the loss, surrendered the first LumberKings lead when he allowed a run in the third inning run.
In the top of the fourth, Clinton plated their final runs of the night. Three straight singles by Evan Edwards, Thomas Jones, and a two-run single by Bradshaw put Clinton back out in front with their largest lead of the night, 4-2.
Kane County tied the game with two runs in the bottom of the fourth and took the lead for good with a run in the sixth that forced Reed from the game. He ended his night having allowed five runs, four earned, on eight hits while walking two and striking out four.
Toelken (6-2) earned the win for the Cougars with a 4.1 inning outing that came in relief. He allowed two runs, on four hits while walking one and striking out three.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, Kane County put the game out of reach with a three-run rally against Cam Baird.
Clinton will meet the Cougars for the final time in the 2019 regular season on Tuesday night trailing by three games for the lead in the Western Division.
The LumberKings will meet the Kane County Cougars for finale game of a four-game series on Tuesday night. Clinton will throw righty Jake Walters (4-4, 2.65) while Kane County will tap righty Adrian Del Moral (2-2, 3.27). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Clinton returns home to open a homestand on Wednesday night with the first game of a three-game series with the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Arrive early for the final baseball card strip giveaway of the season courtesy of Mediacom and Clinton National Bank.
All night long, fans 21 years and older, can take part in "Retro Beer Night." Visit the first base beer stand for $2 select beers - sold all game long.
See Clinton County Republicans for a special offer on tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th