Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon
Lansing, Mich. - Gabriel Moreno hit a three-run home run to lead the Lansing Lugnuts to a 4-3 victory over the Dayton Dragons on Monday night. The Lugnuts have won two of three in the series that will conclude on Tuesday afternoon at 12:05 p.m.
For the second straight game, the Dragons built an early three-run lead before Lansing came back to win. All four Lugnuts runs in the game were unearned as they took advantage of two costly Dayton errors.
Both teams scored three runs in the third inning after the game was scoreless over the first two frames. Dayton's Cameron Warren opened the third with a base hit to left field and went to second on Miguel Hernandez's hit to right. After a ground out by Claudio Finol advanced the runners to second and third, Michael Siani singled to right field. The hit brought in Warren and moved Hernandez to third, and Hernandez scored on the same play when the throw from right skipped off the catcher and bounced up the third base line. One batter later, Mariel Bautista singled to right to drive in Siani and give Dayton a 3-0 lead.
But Lansing answered immediately with a three-run bottom of the third. An error by Dayton third baseman Juan Martinez with two outs prolonged the inning for Moreno, who belted an opposite field home run to right with two men on base to tie the game.
In the sixth inning, Lansing scored the tie-breaking run. Dayton right fielder Mariel Bautista dropped a fly ball for a two-base error, and the runner advanced to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a one-out passed ball by catcher Morgan Lofstrom.
The Dragons best chance to tie the game came in the ninth inning, when Martinez lined a triple to the right field corner, but Jay Schuyler popped out to second base to end the game.
Dragons starting pitcher Adrian Rodriguez (5-3) was charged with the loss. He worked six innings, allowing four unearned runs on three hits with no walks and five strikeouts. Rodriguez has made four starts for the Dragons while pitching out of the bullpen 23 times. In his four starts, he has tossed 19.1 innings without allowing an earned run.
The Dragons finished with seven hits. Siani was 2 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI. He is 6 for 13 in the series at Lansing.
Up Next: The Dragons (23-33, 51-75) will close out the four-game series in Lansing and the seven-game road trip on Tuesday afternoon against the Lugnuts (30-26, 62-63) at 12:05 p.m. Lyon Richardson (2-9, 4.54) will start for the Dragons against Lansing's Troy Watson (6-4, 3.32).
The next Dragons home game is Wednesday, August 21 against the Fort Wayne TinCaps at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Field. For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons President Robert Murphy Selected as Ballpark Digest Baseball Executive of the Year
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Season in Review
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale
- Dragons Notes for Monday
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon