Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits
Davenport, IA - A four-run fifth inning propelled the Cedar Rapids Kernels to their first win in a series against the Quad Cities River Bandits on Monday night at Modern Woodmen Park. Josh Winder matched his career-high with nine strikeouts on the mound while Tyler Webb went 4-5 with two runs batted in to lead the Kernels offensive attack.
The score was tied 2-2 entering the fourth inning when the River Bandits handed the ball to reliever Felipe Tejada. Cedar Rapids (32-24, 71-55) quickly loaded the bases against the right-hander with a double by Spencer Steer, infield hit from Lamonte Wade Jr. and a walk to Gilberto Celestino. Tejada induced a chopper to third base from Wander Javier that allowed the River Bandits to get a force out at the plate and have an opportunity to escape from the jam. However, he could not find the strike zone to the next hitter, DaShawn Keirsey Jr, walking him to force in a run. Webb followed with the third of his four hits, a two-run single that extended the advantage to 5-2. Before the inning ended, Trevor Casanova hooked a run-scoring double down the first base line and the margin increased to 6-2. Tejada was handed his first loss after surrendering four runs on four hits and three walks in 0.2 innings.
Each team opened their scoring with a pair of runs in the second inning. The Kernels got to Bandits starter Jonathan Bermudez when Casanova doubled following a walk and single. Kyle Schmidt followed with a sacrifice fly to center field for his first RBI as a Kernel and gave Cedar Rapids a 2-0 lead.
The River Bandits (31-25, 74-48) answered right back with what turned out to be the only offense of the evening. Four consecutive one-out singles in the bottom of the second pulled them even on the scoreboard. Alex Holderbach, Austin Dennis, Zach Biermann and Trey Dawson were responsible for the hits with Dawson's driving in two runs.
Winder lasted 6.0 innings and allowed the two runs on five hits to go with his nine strikeouts in a winning effort. The Bandits could not muster anything against either Austin Schulfer or Dylan Thomas out of the bullpen.
Webb and Casanova, who was 3-5 with two doubles and two RBI were responsible for seven of the Kernels ten hits in the game. Dawson was the only River Bandits player with multiple knocks.
The last game of the series will take place on Tuesday night at 6:35 p.m. On a Military Tuesday, all military personnel, veterans and their families will receive $1.00 general admission tickets and free Kidz Koaster rides thanks to Pepsi. RHP Matt Ruppenthal (4-5, 4.50) will start for the River Bandits against LHP Kody Funderburk (0-2, 4.37) of Cedar Rapids.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.