Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3
BELOIT, WI - The Beloit Snappers had the lead late this evening, but could not hold on, falling to the Bees in extras by a final of 5-3. Beloit would collect 6 hits, but errors would come back to bite them giving up 3 unearned runs, which ultimately cost them game.
Beloit would get the bats going right out of the gates earning a run in each of the first two innings of the contest. In the first, Beloit would use a little two-out magic to get the scoring started in the ballgame tonight.
Nick Osborne would lead the way with a single for the Snappers first hit of the game and John Jones would immediately follow with a walk to put two runners on. Moments later, Skyler Weber would single to right field to score Osborne and give Beloit the early 1-0 advantage.
In the second, Beloit would be right back to their scoring ways, this time beginning the inning with two men on and no outs. The fun would then continue when Joseph Pena ripped a double to left field to score Nick Ward and extend the Snappers lead to 2-0 after two complete.
The scoring then subdued a little bit for the Snappers, as the boys were held off the scoreboard until the fifth inning. However, it would be worth the wait as Beloit was able to get another run in the inning to push their lead even further.
After a single from Osborne to continue his big day, he would score his second run of the game thanks to the help of Skyler Weber. With Osborne on second after a stolen base, Weber would smash a baseball to left field to score the run and give Beloit the 3-0 lead heading into the later stages of the ballgame.
The 3 runs, unfortunately, would not be enough as Burlington would strike back for one in the seventh and 2 in the eighth to even the game up late in the contest. In fact, it would take extra innings to decide this one, but it did not swing the Snappers way.
In the tenth, Burlington would grab two runs off of a bases clearing double and the Snappers would fail to score in their half of the extra frame falling 5-3 on the night.
Reid Birlingmair got the start and threw six and two-thirds innings of stellar baseball giving up just 1 run, albeit unearned. Birlingmair would be removed midway through the sixth inning with the lead after punching out 7 and giving up 3 hits to conclude an impressive day on the bump.
Beloit will be back on the diamond tomorrow evening against the Bees for Iron Country Night at Pohlman Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 6:30 P.M. with gates for Iron County Night and the Snappers Annual Deck Party set to open 5:30 P.M.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Walk off Rattlers Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Winder Blows Bandits Away in 6-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Bees 5-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Walkoff Win Denies Wisconsin's Opportunity to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Race - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Come from Behind Twice to Beat Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Late Rally Falls Short - Lake County Captains
- Lugs Slip Past Mistake-Prone Dragons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trageton Shines as Hot Rods Edge TinCaps 4-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Zoom Past Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Start Not Enough as Cubs Fall to Loons 5-3 - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps' Furious Rally Comes Up Inches Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Back in the Win Column - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Edges Dayton 4-3; Road Trip Finale Set for Tuesday at Noon - Dayton Dragons
- BG Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lake County Captains to Wrap up Inaugural Hispanic Community Outreach Campaign as Picantes de Lake County on August 31 - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Play Three Games at Home this Week - South Bend Cubs
- Scolamiero Named Player of the Week - Lake County Captains
- Luis Rijo Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 19 vs. Bowling Green (Game 124) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.